Hooray for Buttercup!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tina D, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm so proud of Buttercup, my BO hen! She is at least 5 years old, and has arthritis. She has good days and bad, in terms of movement. Often, I just carry her to where she wants to go. She keeps the other birds in line using only a well timed stink-eye. I call her Big Mama. [​IMG] Anyway, she came to live with me in early May, and laid one egg a couple days later. Other than that, none. I don't mind a bit, though. I love her. I figure, she has laid many eggs in her life, and now she can relax.

Well, today she was acting funny, and I got nervous. I probably fuss over her too much, but she's my special little old lady. So I watched her closely. She actually hobbled over to the nest box! I thought maybe she was going there to avoid the wind. Well, don't you know, she laid a huge egg! Not only that, but then she wanted to go broody, bless her heart! [​IMG] I watched her lay the egg, then fuss with the wood chips until she was happy. Then she turned around a few times (which is no small feat for her poor arthritic legs). She settled herself on the egg, and even used her beak to push it farther underneath her! Then she was doing a cluck similar to the one my other girls does when she wants to go broody. I was so proud of her! Way to go, my old girl! I felt terrible taking the egg from her after all that. I let her sit for a few minutes, then I snuck it away.

Thanks for reading, I just had to share my chicken-mommy pride!

2. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Yay Buttercup!! Hope she has many more happy years with you!

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I know this is a happy story, but it just makes me so sad. [​IMG] Poor Buttercup

4. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

5. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Quote:I understand. It is kind of bittersweet... Please know that Buttercup is a content girl! She is very alert and sharp. She can't move around as fast as the others, and some days are tougher than other days. Some days she actually walks around very well! It's almost as if the legs are weak, not so much that she is in pain? When she has been laying still for a while, it takes her a little while to get moving. I definitely baby her. But, believe me, if she appeared to be suffering, I'd take the proper action. I would never want that for her.

6. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    What a sweet story- tx for sharing.

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Yeah Buttercup!

8. typnslow

typnslow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    New Market, Al
    I am going to need to see a photo of Buttercup, please.

9. typnslow

typnslow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    New Market, Al
    I am going to need to see a photo of Buttercup, please.
    [​IMG]

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Photo please! It is a bittersweet story, but beautiful too. I am so glad Buttercup has you - and that you got to witness her lay an egg. What a lovely old dame. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by