Hooray! My first Silkie Chick Has Hatched!!! (Pics and Sad Update)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vfem, Feb 24, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Things have been crazy around here... I set some eggs under my hens about 20 days ago... feels shorter then that though. I wasn't ready for a hatchling this morning. In fact, somehow over time they snuck in a couple extra eggs I didn't manage to collect... and one I put an "X" on is missing from the bunch they are on now ANYWAY?!

So I have 2 hens sitting 2 under each one... though only 1 has hatched, it was from the original batch and I have no idea how long it will take for the rest to hatch... a day, 2, 3, 5!? Good thing none hatched under my other.

Oh I did see the 2nd egg under my hatching bird is cracked in a 'round' spot. However, I hear nothing in the egg. It may have accidently broke, or was in the process of hatching. I'm going to leave it there for now. I'm just going to give it another day... if nothing progresses, its gone.

For now... I have one happy healthy Buff silkie chick [​IMG]

Will be back with pictures later (the BEST part)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    yippee!!!!

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh... well the second egg that was cracked I left alone. Looked again at it when I went out to photo the new baby. I saw blood and I freaked!!! It was pouring out through the cracks in the shell (those cracks look to have been inflicted from the outside).

I picked away the shell slowly and carefully away from the blood, and left the membrane. Sadly, there was a rip in the membrane inside and the little guy was definitely a couple days away from being ready to hatch.

So we've lost a chick:(

They are still sitting on 2 more eggs though.

Here is our first hatch though, she is still strong and doing well.

[​IMG]

4. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    So cute! [​IMG]

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We lost another hatching egg to an egg eater! Only one egg left to hatch and I'm moving mama, chick and egg inside. [​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Awwwwwwwww your baby silkie is adorable. Sorry you lost the other two. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by