Hoosier chicken newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hoosierchickens, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    Hello from Indiana. After a year of consideration my wife and kids and I have recently decided to raise chickens. We are eagerly awaiting 6 Speckled Sussex (5 pullets and 1 roo) and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes (5 pullets and 1 roo) due in the week of March 21st. In the meantime, we've been trying to devour as much information as we can. This site has been great so far. We have most of the necessary initial gear for the brooder. I'm waiting on warmer weather to start the coop. The only problem with waiting is that the coop plans keep getting more and more elaborate (and more expensive.[​IMG]) I'll have to scan and post my design plans to get everyone's advice on what they would change so that I get it right the first time. Right now it's a duplex with two separate runs to keep the breeds separate. We are completely new to this so any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    [​IMG]

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC were a huge help. I blogged about my adventures. Feel free to visit my BYC page which has blog links you may find informative or amusing.

Have a look at the BYC Coop page. Check out my coop links. Think about the steps you will go through in all your chicken chores and make sure your design is suitable. Also, build with screws so it is easy ti modify the design.

As for the design process, I find it helpful to discard my elaborate designs and start over with the simplest plan that could work. Do this a few times!

5. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Welcome from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. [​IMG]

7. ganesha09

ganesha09 Loves chicken feet!

Sep 18, 2010
    southern Illinois
    Hello from Illinois! I am also a complete newbie at all this- my chickies arrive in May. I understand about the size and expense of the coop growing and growing! [​IMG] Looking forward to seeing your coop and your chicks! Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps