Hoover's assortment breed ID?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mountainchickens, Aug 17, 2019.

1. mountainchickens

mountainchickens Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    Hi! We have 15 chicks from Hoover's. They are almost 3 days old. We have 5 chicks that are assorted; 3 from rare breed assortment and 2 from colored egg assortment (or maybe the other way around.) I'd love an ID on these guys. Thanks! (There are 2 pictures of the yellow one)
    ss?.jpg tigerrrr.jpg ?chickie.jpg yellowchickie.jpg yellowchickiedoodle.jpg cmarans?.jpg

2. mountainchickens

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    I was thinking the striped ones might be some of their EEs or similar :D

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

There are so many possibilities here, it's almost overwhelming. :lol: You may not know some of the breeds until they feather in. :)

#1. I'm thinking either Speckled Sussex or Olive Egger....though leaning towards the latter. SS are normally much darker red with a bib. Her little legs are pink for now (an SS trait), but color is subject to change at this age.
    #2. Either Easter Egger, or Prairie Bluebell Egger?
    #3. Again, could be Speckled Sussex or Olive Egger.
    #4. Wheaten Marans, maybe? What comb type and leg color? Are the legs clean or feathered?
    #5. Cuckoo Marans

Lovely babies! :love I can't wait to watch them mature.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. mountainchickens

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    Thank you!! For #4, legs are pink and clean and I will ID her comb type today! :) I will update as they start to feather in! :D

5. mountainchickens

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    #4 is starting to get some wing feathers! She's a very smart chick. That sounds ironic but it's true :lol: Any idea on breed? I'm beginning to have second thoughts about her being a Wheaten Marans, but :idunno
    [​IMG]

penny1960 likes this.
  6. Fatimetta

Fatimetta Chirping

Aug 4, 2019
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm not sure about most of them but the first pic of the chick with a stripe definitely looks like the speckled sussex I had!

penny1960 and mountainchickens like this.
  7. mountainchickens

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    Thanks! :D Yeah, I'm thinking the same. And I'm not sure the yellow is a Wheaten Marans...

penny1960 likes this.
  8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    no feathers on the leg the black and white does have feathers on the leg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: