Hoover's Hatchery~ Mt. Healthy Hatchery~ Double R Supply

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mag16, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Mag16

Mag16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Graford, Texas
    My sister and I want to order chicks and I was looking at different hatcheries. I thought I had settled on Ideal. I ran across these hatcheries: Hoover's Hatchery, Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and Double R Supply. Has anyone ordered from them? Opinions?

Thanks!

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've ordered almost every year, something, or another from Hoover's Hatchery. Never had a problem or disappointment.

You may want to wait for other TX responses though. It is a cross country trip. That's the reason I order from them. Close by.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Isn't ideal in Texas? They always pack their chicks with care, and pack extras too. They also have a really great selection of different breeds, even if some of the rarer chicks are less than show quality (but that differs bird to bird and isn't unusual at all).

4. CARS

Quote:Yes it is in TX. Just because of logistics, I would order from them if they have the breeds you want.

5. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    i personally love ideal

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I like Ideal, too.

7. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    I saw pictures of some adult porcelain d’Uccles that a gal received from Ideal as chicks, and I was shocked at their quality. I'm not much for buying from hatcheries anymore (for myself), but for some of the really rare breeds it is sometimes unavoidable. Some folks who are not looking to show or breed, can do very well getting their stock from hatcheries. From what I've seen Ideal is very good.
    I've also heard good things about Murray McMurray Hatchery, http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/day_old_baby_chickens.html Again it depends on what you're looking for.
    My personal experience with Mt. Healthy in Ohio, (man, I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this here) is they don't always give you what you ask for. When it comes to bantams in particular, you pretty much have to take what they give you, there is no way to specify what you want and know for sure that's what you're going to get. I got some chicks last year that were sold as OEGB, when they matured, they were mutts. I have a beautiful mille fleur d’Uccle hen from Mr. Healthy and I do mean beautiful; but she's evil....absolutely terrible disposition so I won't be breeding her no matter how pretty she is.
    I'd say, like the others have, if Ideal has the breeds you want, I'd go with them. The fact that they are the closest to you is no small factor and they have a good reputation, that's a lot of positives in their column.

8. CARS

While we may be getting off topic about discussing McMurry, I didn't have very good luck with the quality from their assortment. I'm happy with them as pet quality, but as you can read from others responses, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279203 I haven't gotten too many complements on their quality.

9. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    I am from TX and have used Ideal because how close they r and have had good luck with them so far!

10. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used Ideal in the past year and highly recommend them, they package the birds well and warm..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by