hoow layed what egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepsthebrassy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    I have two chickens that lay the same shade and size of egg and I want eggs from just one of those hens. I have read that dieing the vents would help. My question is will it effect the hen since the die is toxic? i cant isolate her she gets distressed. I cant take the other one out If I do she will get distressed too. And can i hatch the ones that are died? or should i die the other hens vent. How would you die the vent?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    I don't know anything about dying vents. Sounds messy. Can you separate the hens? By that, I mean you could stick them in some sort of cage, just for a day. They could be beside each other. Then, pick out the one with the egg you want and put a zip tie on her leg. Then you know that one laid the egg you want.

3. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    both of the hens don't lay every day i only get one egg from one of them (don't know witch) a day. and i know they are both laying one day their was two of the same color egg. i check the chicken coop everyday

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    You may have to keep them caged up for a couple days. Eventually one should lay. Then you'll know. I have read that they usually lay on a 25 hr cycle. You could just keep one of the two caged. It won't really bother them too much. Make sure they have access to water and feed.

5. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    thank you for you good info

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Use the gel type food coloring to dye the vent....it is not toxic.
    I don't think it would harm the hatching viability.

7. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    when will the die ware offf

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Food coloring is used in food. I understand some people have some concerns with some of it, especially the red, but since it is used in food it is not that toxic, especially when not eaten.

I’ve never tried it, but it should wear off daily. You’d probably have to put it in every morning before they lay. I’ve seen a few photos (very few) on here of people that have done this and those markings are pretty light. Hopefully some of those people will see this and chime in.

When a hen lays an egg, the part that is around the egg protrudes from the vent a little to protect the egg from anything nasty that might be in the vent. That’s why the eggs are clean even though they poop out of the same vent. It’s not like you are putting the food coloring in the portion the egg I actually coming out of. It’s more that you are putting it in the general area and hoping a bit shows up.

I can understand some of your frustration since both hens lay the same size and color of egg. The only way I can think of that might work since you have trouble separating them is to build a trap nest. When a hen goes in the nest to lay an egg, she is trapped in there until you release her. But that means you need to be around to release her.

I really don’t have a good answer for you. Food coloring sounds the most promising but that may be a pain to do and I’m not sure how absolutely reliable it is. I don’t know that every egg will get marked.

Another possibility might be to use lipstick around the vent. That may be more likely to rub off on the egg though you’d probably have to apply it every morning too. I’m certainly not going to try that one. No way do I want to try to explain to my wife why I’m putting lipstick on a chicken’s vent.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by