Hop along Winston 😢

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
My pekin Drake Winston is limping. Noticed it a little this morning, this evening it’s serious. Hes a beast, I wouldn’t be surprised of he did it trying to mate or maybe tripping over something, i try to keep their area clear of sticks and such but we have had some weather this week. I checked his feet out, they look ok. But his right leg is reaching way out to the side as he walks. I plan to put him in the pen tomorrow to keep him quiet.... hes not going to like this.

Could you post a video of him walking, or trying to?
I will in the AM I figured in the house tonight he wouldn’t be able to do a lot of wandering, they have a large area to wander so I imagine the leaves, sticks, girls and miles were not a good thing today. 😕 Winston is so big he was 10 lbs this summer but I imagine he might go 11/12 by now

Poor guy.

Pekins are especially prone to developing these problems since their so heavyweight, so this isn't all that uncommon. The best thing for him at this point will be rest, even though he may not like it. Other things to speed the healing process may include administration of B vitamins specifically niacin (B3), soaking his feet in Epsom salt water a few times a week, and letting him practice water therapy often.

Unless you cut down on the size of the pen so he can't walk as much, I wouldn't recommend administering an NSAID, as he will likely feel better, and may reinjure the leg. Keep us posted on his condition.

Poor guy.

Pekins are especially prone to developing these problems since their so heavyweight, so this isn't all that uncommon. The best thing for him at this point will be rest, even though he may not like it. Other things to speed the healing process may include administration of B vitamins specifically niacin (B3), soaking his feet in Epsom salt water a few times a week, and letting him practice water therapy often.

Unless you cut down on the size of the pen so he can't walk as much, I wouldn't recommend administering an NSAID, as he will likely feel better, and may reinjure the leg. Keep us posted on his condition.
I was wondering if he ought to swim or not, the girls seem to take to the isolation chamber better than him. Hes way too worried about where they are, i can choke his pen down. He paces so when they are about. When they all lay down he settles. Hes a pretty good guy all around so i feel so bad locking him up.
should swimming Provisions be warm water or should I just figure out a way so he can float free choice during the day?

I was wondering if he ought to swim or not, the girls seem to take to the isolation chamber better than him. Hes way too worried about where they are, i can choke his pen down. He paces so when they are about. When they all lay down he settles. Hes a pretty good guy all around so i feel so bad locking him up.
should swimming Provisions be warm water or should I just figure out a way so he can float free choice during the day?

I understand your concerns, and is something that should be addressed partially as stress can have an impound effect on how an injury heals. Just as suggestion, but perhaps you could set a hen in there with him, or make the pen slightly bigger and just lock everybody up. That is up to you to decide, but reducing stress, and at the same time reducing his mobility would be preferred.

Regarding the water, it should be cold to help reduce inflammation. He can have a source of deep water in his pen, but he should be able to easily get in, and out to reduce the chance of reinjuring his leg. If that's not possible, I would suggest supervised water therapy for now.

Back
Top Bottom