Hope Everyone is Okay!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WindyOaksYokes, Oct 19, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I just wanted to say that I hope everyone is okay!!! My thougths and prayers go out to all of you who were affected by the tornado outbreak! Also hoping that no one lost any of their wonderful little chicken friends!!!

The weather sure does look bad, it is just about ontop of us, not looking forward to it!!! We have not had a tornado here where we live in years... hopefully one does not break out today!!!!!

I hope that all of you that are still waiting for the storm to hit stay safe!!!!! Be Careful!!!!

Tes

2. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    I was just telling my son on the way to school that today looks like the makings for a tornado. Thank goodness we don't get to many here but it does happen.

3. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We usually do not get them here eirther, but like you, it does happen. So far this storm that is headed in to our area has spun off 40 tornados, 50 to 60 mph winds and damaging hail.

Since the storm is so close to us right now, I let my babies out early. At least if nothing else, they can take refuge under the house, cars, whatever. I just got worried since their coop/run is right at the edge of the woods. Didnt want a tree coming down on top of them. Did I do the right thing?

Keep safe everyone!!! Even you all over there on the west coast... you sure are having a rough one too from what I have seen on TWC.

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    WOW!!!! When is this storm coming to N.C????? I hate bad storms because of that. Dad said if I was ever being chased by a tornado I would find speed I didn't know I had. (That is how scared I am of them)

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    How scary! It's a freak occurrence when we get tornado's here, but their have been one or two. I remember, as a little girl, seeing the sky turn green. I was at day camp and the counselors didn't know what to do. It never turned into anything, but it was scary! That was 20 years ago.

Windy, I think that is what I would do, as well. Hope everyone stays safe!

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Im worried for you guys and your chickens.
    Can you cover their pens with a heavy tarpaulin??
    I wouldnt like to see the chooks running around in this, however We dont get these here so I dont know how the chooks go.
    I really pray that you will all be safe and not suffer any damage. Take care.

7. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Peeps, you will be okay! Don't worry!!! This storm is supposed to be hitting the easten coast all day today. I am just hoping and praying that it is done with its tornado making!!!! Just keep an ear out on the radio, or turn on the weather channel... they will keep you informed.

I used to live in Indiana, oh how I hated it when storms came in... I always grabbed the kids and headed for the cellar. I didnt take no chances back then... Now, I am in aww of how mother nature works. I guess its because we dont get the real bad storms here like we did there. But I will definatly keep an eye out today!

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well Windy, your right above us so I guess it'll be hitting us soon. North Carolina gets quite a few tornados but we've never had one where I live.

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    We (well, our landlord) lost a big tree last night. The wind and rain was crazy! All the chickens were fine this morning though!

10. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    All you guys keep safe we just had a storm system come through here in the midwest luckily it skirted its way around us and all we got was 2 inches of rain. 2 years ago we had a small tornado touch down on the machine shed tore the sides and roof off and tossed it onto our newly built chicken coop it was wrapped up tight took a while to get it all off so we could get in and make sure our girls were fine luckily most of them were we did loose a few they were never accounted for the roof was cracked from the force of the machine sheds roof and sides slamming into it. parts of the roof and sides were found about 2 miles away. it tore down the gates and shifted the posts and cracked the concrete they were in also sent 2x4 through the roof of our pole building luckily that was all the damage done there as I house my turkeys ducks and geese and a few mixed up chickens who dont know they are chickens. And nope they dont sound like a freight train much louder. oh and lost a tire 2x4 sliced through that like butter. No sirens went off but luckily for us we have a built in siren when the winds get strong enough the windows whisltes and this night the screamed. Luckily it disappated quickly after forming otherwise I would of hated to see what kind of damage it would of done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by