1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hope for little chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GiGi123, Jan 2, 2011.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    hello everyone,
    I incubated some eggs and they hatched a little over a week ago. they were scheduled to hatch on wednesday. we had some lower temps so i expected a thursday friday hatch. one hatched hatched right after midnight on saturday, while the others hatched on thursday and friday, so it isn't that much younger. though it is so much littler than the others, maybe half the size of it's brothers and sisters.It doesn't seem to have the energy everyone else does and does alot of sleeping. It can move and walk around when it wants to but most of the time it sleeps. i'm really worried about it. is there anything i can do to help it become stronger and move around more? maybe add stuff to food and/or water?

thank you,
    Gigi

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    You might want to move this to the emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures section. There you should fill out this, which helps others help you.

3. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    thank you i will do that now

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    [​IMG] You're welcome.

5. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:I had one I had to help out the shell, first to pip and and then stayed zipped for 6 hours ... Very weak, for 3 solid days.. It slept, barely moved.. Yes, I added vitamins and sugar, I ended up in the late evening on day 2' taping the legs because it just looked as if it couldn't even stand on it legs just fell over, I dipped his beak in the water almost every hour on the hour, I put yogurt on his beak too.. He would barely swallow, but he was getting something, held him in my hand and with a dropper would also give the water/sugar/vitamins..sprinkled food rightninfront of him where ever he was laying. Do you know never did I think he was going to make it, day 4 untaped his legs and noticed he was stronger..that whole first week, dipped his beak myself, mixed yogurt even with a little feed and scrambled eggs..never did I really see him begin to eat himself until day 5 . But today,10 days later- all over the place and so far doing great

Goodluck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by