1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hope for the hopeless

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oofies, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Oofies

Oofies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    West Virginia
    Soooo, this is my... um...4th hatch this year... back at it after several years...

And on lockdown on Tuesday, I realize that the turner WAS NEVER PLUGGED IN

ARRRRGGGHHHHH- 41 Shipped eggs.....I had high high hopes, dry hatch and candled at day 12 as only 6 quitters.

I locked down anyway.

and today one Maran hatched (day 20)

Even if he's the only one... this reminds me to not throw them out until I'm SURE they're not living. I'm giving the rest 24 days. at least.

2. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Check craigslist for people selling eggs in your area and ask them if they could be fertile. I started to go down the shipped egg route but found that most people selling eggs for eating, can also leave them out of the fridge for hatching (same price!). All sorts of breeds too, including turkeys.

I'll take your turner never being plugged in, and raise you a turner that was never turned off....

Chicks stuck between trays, stuck in the turner arms, running all over the other eggs, falling from tray to tray.... My favorite were the ones who made it to the very bottom of the incubator who refused to come any closer than the 1.25" I needed to grab their fluffy butts. Yep, incubator wide open while I chase down obstinate chicks while poking them with a stick trying to get them to come out..... [​IMG]

I try to give everyone 25 or a little more days to hatch. Plenty of room for a late set, low temps, bad math, etc..

Good luck, your mileage may vary.

3. Oofies

Oofies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm actually up to 5 hatched, one with a strong external pip. I actually have the SAME hatch percentage of my last hatch at this point. My last hatch was 50-60% humidity the first 18 then to 70%. Same supplier. I'm super happy that I've been this lucky.

I'll raise you a forgot to take the turner out/off and see you an uncovered fan that cut all the ends of the chicks wings off (roll-x, still my fave incubator but it currently needs completely overhauled)

I'll def wait a little longer now, but I can't stand to leave these guys in longer than tomorrow (the first one will be 48hours tomorrow). I'll leave it plugged in 2-3 more days though!

4. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    LOL! I'll fold on that one!

Good luck on your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by