Hope I didn't blow it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackleberrylinda, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Oh yikes. I am just now getting my Brower fired up to hatch some Call Duck eggs. I wonder why it is so hard on eggs? I mean they are just eggs till the heat comes.Right? I have had these eggs for a week. Darn it! My timing is bad. Cuz I have hatched eggs here from my chickens that were older than that. And when a chicken is collecting a clutch of eggs to hatch they can be around two weeks while she gathers enough to consider sitting on them. Oh well, I will try.

2. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    You never know unless you try it. The last shipped eggs I received are pipping today which is hatch day and out of 15 eggs, I have 6 live chickies in those eggs. I can hear peeping coming from all 6 eggs. I am very satisfied that I have 6 that seems like they are going to make it. I won't count my chickens though until they actually hatch [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Give it a try

4. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    What does pipping mean? That they are beaking on the shell? Or peeping? Been fooling around (not really, I take my birds seriously cuz I loves me some birdies) but haven't known what the different things are called. So I am getting me some kind of edumication now. I love it.

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi cacklberrylinda... [​IMG] . When an egg pips, that is when the chicks first breaks through the egg. When an egg zips, that is when the chick starts to go in a circle breaking the shell to get out. After they pip, you can hear them peeping in the shell. Hope this helps your edumication along lol. Good luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by