Hope I didn't kill them all

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 12, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    So this was the worst chicken day. We never leave the house for an entire day since we have gotten the birds. But being Easter we went to my MIL's all day. So before we left we did chick chores, fresh water, fresh food and stirred the bedding. I got home and ran out to do chick chores again. I went to look into the bantam brooder and was going to do them after I got the other brooders taken care of. The waterer was bone dry and the floor of the brooder was sopping wet, including the paper towels the chicks were on. I quickly grabbed the nearest rubbermaid container, threw some pine shavings in and paper towels on top. Grabbed the chicks and put them in there, got the heat light situated for them. I think the waterer melfunctioned somehow and just came out right after I set it in there. It had to of happened as soon as I gave them fresh water this morning because it was bone dry. I looked at the waterer and the top was screwed on so I have no idea. But the chicks feet and leg feathers are all hard from walking on wet ground and the food soaked to their poor legs. I had tons of pasty butts, cleaned their butts and while doing one it blew a bubble out it's mouth at me. Was I holding the crop too tight maybe? Ugh, I am so sad right now. Out of all my chicks I don't want to lose even one bantam. Think they will be ok? When I put fresh water in the new container some ran over right away to drink. Some wanted the food and some just wanted under the light to sleep. I watched them a while and by the time I left them they were all sound asleep. [​IMG] I hope they all make it. They are only 1 week old.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] Keep them warm and dry, and they should be just fine.

3. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Thanks. Here's to hoping [​IMG]

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Chicks are pretty hearty - I think you did fine - keep us updated. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You've probably got a hairline crack in your waterer, time to get another. Been there, done that, chicks just wet for the day.

6. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    They were all alive and happy chicks this morning. [​IMG] I was so excited. [​IMG]

7. NWchickenLuv

NWchickenLuv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Bellingham WA
    I'm so glad... my older chicks have started running around the water container so i'm finding big wet spots in their bedding when I get home. No stirring there... just have to change it.

I am happy they are doing good!

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] Glad they were ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by