1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hope is losing hope

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lvzookeepr, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lvzookeepr

lvzookeepr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    I have a Rhode Island Red who has lost most of her body weight. I have given her Batril, and another soluable antibiotic plus vitamins and electorlytes. She was not eating so I made her baby bird food and baby food feeding her with a syringe. She started eating on her own again and was walking around after about a week and a half. Now she has done a nose dive again. Not eating, I am back to force feeding her with food and water to ensure she is eating and hydrated. Any ideas any help I would appreciate it. She is being kept warm and clean as well. Thank you.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Has she ever been wormed?

Have you checked her over for lice or mites?

What does her poop look like? What does her crop feel like?

3. lvzookeepr

lvzookeepr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    I wormed her, and looked over her body no mites. Her poop and been watery but better when she started eating better. I gave her a little bath cleaning the poop of and blowing her dry gently. Can you think of anything else?

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If her crop feels normal then I am really not sure. I'm sorry :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by