Hope I've done the right thing.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CindyG, Sep 1, 2010.

1. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

FBCM eggs arrived this morning in the mail, having left Ottawa on Monday. It's been stinkin hot, I mean really unusually so for us, up around 85F so I decided to put them right in the incubator without letting them "rest". I know from previous experience with these eggs that candling doesn't work as they are so dark, so no chance of seeing where the air cell is. Another reason for getting them in right away is that on Sept 23, I am going away for four days, so I really want them to have hatched before I go!! Oh, well, time will tell.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The "rules" on here are guidelines. They are not usually hard and fast laws of nature that will change the the fate of the known universe if you violate them. They are there to improve your odds that something good will happen, not a hard and fast guarantee that something good or bad will happen. I don't always follow all the rules to the letter of the law. I don't go out of my way to violate them like some people. I do want to be successful, but sometimes there are tradeoffs. I try to do the best I can and don't worry too much about it.

By putting the eggs straight in the incubator, you may reduce the odds of a great hatch. If you leave them out to settle, you may run into other problems and reduce the success of the hatch, especially if you are going to be gone. Just make the best decision you can with the known facts and go for it. Sounds like what you are doing.

Good luck!

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a issue with shipped eggs in hot weather. I let them settle for couple hours and set them in the incubator. I have 13 out of 16 in lockdown now due on friday. 2 eggs didn't develop at all had detached air cells, and one was a quitter.

I have very little experienced with incubating eggs. Thought I would give the results I'm having without letting them settle.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I did just what you did and I had a great hatch. And yes mine had started incubating already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by