Hope my broody follows through- Anyone else set eggs today???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erin0415, Nov 13, 2008.

1. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I set 19 eggs today, 12 in my bator and 7 under a broody leghorn. I'm a little nervous with my leghorn, since they aren't normally a broody breed. She sat in an empty nestbox (everyone has stopped laying) for 3-4 days before I gave her some plastic eggs. She hasn't budged much from the nesting box all week, but she seemed to take more excursions today. Is 7 large eggs an ok amount for her? She seems to have them covered completely. I set EEs, brabanters, egyptian fayoumis, spitzhaubens, and cuckoo marans. Did anyone else set eggs today???

2. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Yep! I set twenty eggs today, filling up my incubator with 12 bbs orp eggs and 8 black copper maran eggs. Hopefully we will be very busy come Dec 3rd or thereabouts!

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I put 12 RIR and Golden Comet/EE eggs in my second bator today.

Looking forward to little cheeps soon!

Emily in NC

4. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    My hen went broody 6 days ago, so we are kind of close to you. This is her first "sitting" so we'll see how she does. There are six eggs under there. I hope our rooster got the job done. Ha.
    Maggie

5. erin0415

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Mine were eggs I bought because my neighbors dogs killed my rooster, plus all my girls are on strike right now. The only one I had left laying was the leghorn, then she went broody and stopped. Everyone else is molting (not a pretty process)

6. erin0415

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Here are my new eggies and my silly girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    We gave our broody hen some eggs on Tuesday, she had already been sitting a week. She's a very determined alpha-chicken redsexlink named Mama-Bird. Here's a shot of her:
    [​IMG]

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Both these hens look like they plan to get the job done, but wow, what a look on the ren hen's face! [​IMG] She's got me intimidated with just her photo!

Right now I have 3 broody banties, one who made her nest in a little space under the nest boxes, two others sharing a dog house that is a coop. All due around Thanksgiving, more or less. There are 3 other banties who have already hatched out their chicks. And 2 other bantam hens who lay their daily eggs in a space behind the duck house. I keep taking out the newest eggs, and wonder which hen will finally decide to set there.

Sorry, no photos to share...[​IMG]

Once my broodies decide to set I give them about 6 standard sized eggs to hatch for me. I can give away or sell the resulting pullets as layers, and the roos go to the table.

Let us know how these hens do with their sets!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My silkie mix had been brooding a golf ball for about 4 days, I finally gave in yesterday and gave her some eggs! Plus I set 4 in the bator tonight. Nobody is laying anymore, if they are they're hiding the nests!! So I guess this is it for me this year. [​IMG]

10. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    So, Erin, any updates?

Today is day 21 for my broody "Mama" and her eggs. She made it! Because of the cool weather, we think that the eggs might be delayed, and I'm not sure about the 4 serama eggs that were under her. The morning after we candled eggs I found two on their shelf...not sure if she kicked them out or if they got left out [​IMG] [​IMG] I've been trying to listen for peeps and haven't heard anything yet. The seramas could have hatched on day 19 or onward, that would have been Saturday.

We haven't moved her, although we're going to put the nesting box on the ground today (it's currently on a shelf about 3 feet off the ground). Since she's highest in the pecking order, and her good friend Rascal died recently, one of our first three, we're going to try keeping her in coop for the sake of Brownie, the other of our first three.

Hope your broody is doing well! I get a kick out of that broody leghorn picture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by