Hope my kids are all ready to intergrate.

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Ok 1st I'm able to see in the coop a bit using a baby cam and I got it so when intergrading I can see! And so I've had a *makeshift* partition in the chicken coop for the past 3 wks. separating my 4 month old Austrolorp from my 8 week old Buff Orpingtons. Last week the Orpingtons decided the partition didn't go allthe way to the top of the coop & so it must be meant to be a roosting bar & they just wanted *nothing to do with the 2X4 that was put in there for that purpose*. The Austrolorp goes in for the night & settles in & *that is it* she wants nothing more than to hunker down & sleep till the morning now. The Orpingtons mean while are ALL excited over the bugs that fly to 7 fro with the light in their & they can really kick up a rukus while after them. All this time the Austrolorp has been technically able to reach them on that perch but is just ignoring them with the exception of a dagger look when they disturb her. 1 fell on her side last week & she was NOT HAPPY with her..... But going on the advice of a BYCer I started allowing them to freerange for short periods last week & over the weekend gave them a LOT of time out together. Last night the Austrolorp put herself into the coop on the side that had been traditionally for the Orpingtons & gave a look as if to say "I was here long before them & this is my spot" & the Orpingtons were all up on the perch anyway so I left them. I knew this morning they'd all be mixed up as to which side was which though & so I just made certain to be awake when they were & they did ok being in with her for a little while until I'd gone out & let them out. Hubby said yesterday when they were all in their enclosed area the Austrolorp had laid down next to them sort of part of them yet not "in the flock" yet. They all seemed to be doing ok today too & so I thought to see what would happen if I took out the partition..... So far so good but there is that period of time when I sleep.... LOL Please pray I wake up & they're all still coexisting...? The Austrolorp initially let a couple of those chicks have it & I didn't think they'd EVER intergrate but she seems to be tolerating them now even though she has a few nasty looks for them at times. She does give case when outside but I don't think any more than they're doing with each other. And I think the BO Roo is actually trying to assert himself with her the little darling..... He is this little 8 wk old that is a serious as a heart attack when it comes to his Roo responsibilities...... Anyway I'd wanted to open the coop up without the partition so they'll all have more room. Frankly I think the Austrolorp could use the company of the flock and life would be a lot easier with them just acting as a flock now... Some times they do seem to be accepting each other but the Orpingtons are a bit afraid of her some times & they run from her when outside & WHO could blame them?! They do seem to mix in a bit now though and here's a pic from Sat. when they were all out & on the same bush together. Almost hard to see her standing in front of the bush but the roo is to her right & almost looks as big as her.

12173c1a-1.jpg

Well when I woke this am there was no screaming or anyone being attacked and so no one was worse for the wear without the divider last night. Could this be the Austrolorp actually accepting the Orpingtons? I had hoped that them living "side by side for the past couple weeks would have this effect when I took it away.

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to put in some nice roosting bars that are secure because the little Orpingtons kind of jump around at night & they knock them off if I just have them wedged in there.

It sounds like they are starting to integrate nicely. You will probably start to see some jockeying for pecking order position. Don't worry, unless any of them get bloody.

Quote:
Well the Orpingtons are all smaller than the Austrolorp & she was my concern with the others. They're all adorable of course but the Orpington pullets are SO personable to people! I had rescued 1 from the Clutches of the Austrolorp last week and she had this "Oh thank God you're here" expression to her. Of course the Austrolorp I think had her sleep disturbed because the Orpingtons just jump all over chasing bugs inside the coops till all hours of the night... & prior to me taking the divider out that littler girl had sort of fallen onto the wrong side of the coop & well the Austrolorp was NOT happy with her!

Frankly I think while free ranging the Orpington Roo has been sweet talking the Austrolorp. he sort of "flirts with her" going back & forth chasing. I'm sure it's him asserting himself too but he's anything but aggressive & will turn tail & run from her but then turn around & be "right next to her". Poor boy with so many girls around him... LOL Anyway it seems like since he's started doing that it's help pull the Austrolorp in as "part of the flock?

It's very interesting to watch how they do or don't reject one another.

Mom2Cool wrote: It's very interesting to watch how they do or don't reject one another.

Yes it is. Here are some pics of our Sam, Golden Campine roo, and Eleanor, our White Face Black Spanish hen. They are usually best buds and run the farm yard together. But in these pics, you can see Sam trying to impress Eleanor, but she wanted no part of him that day..... I think Sam's look - 'Hey, where are ya going?!' is very obvious....
wink.png

SamdancesforEleanor.jpg

EleanorrejectsSam.jpg

LOL he DOES have that look &/or it's like his mouth is ajar saying
"wait......you're not impressed with that?" They're both beautiful but your Roo I just love his coloring.....

2 & 1/2 wks ago I'd tried allowing them to all free range together & the Austrolorp took after anything that was in front of her *rippping feathers from their little bodies*. She does go chasing a bit still now but nothing like 2 wks ago and I do believe I have my Roo to thank for his persistance going back & forth.

Last edited:
Well night 2 with the Orpingtons mixed in with the Austrolorp went well and all seem to be co-existing nicely or I haven't heard any screaming or fighting. I do notice now the Orpingtons jockinging for position & they *all chase each other* now & do that facing each other & hopping back & running toward each other with the feathers ruffled. etc. No one seems to "connect" now though & the Austrolorp doesn't nail any one anymore either. They just all "look to face off". LOL I don't mind saying life will be a lot nicer without the Austrolorp attacking etc. And it's nice to see the Austrolorp having company now that the Orpingtons are around her. I hope it all stays this way..

my 4 & 1/2 month old Austrolorp Pullet & my 6 9 wks old Buff Orpingtons truly intergrated and accepting each other. Here's a pic of them actually "sunning together". they never nuzzle up to her like they do the others but they are in the same area as her now .

d1c0cd47-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom