1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hope not dumb question, but is it only light that tells a rooster when to crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by appps, Nov 22, 2012.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    we have one unplanned, now childrens pet, rooster in a suburban area and to preempt any neighbour problems Id like to see if I can get him to sleep in a little later.

I woke this morning to hear him crowing at 5.30am, and unfortunatly the pen is closer to the neighbours bedrooms than ours.

What I was thinking of doing was putting some light stopping shade mesh over the areas that are currently clear with just wire (just the top 2 foot of their house) so that it stayed darker in there just that little bit longer.

If you have had experience with trying to stop a rooster crowing do you think this would work, even if it just puts him off for an hour, or a waste of money?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It would be more worthwhile to make the coop soundproof. Roosters crow at all hours. Doesn't matter. If they wake up, they will crow. :)

3. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Hmm, I wonder if I could put some sort of shutter over that area instead then so I could shut them of a night and open it when the kids are getting ready for school. Keep a bit more noise in in the wee hours but let the ventilation work during the day.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I have had Roosters that crow 27/7, some that crow when clouds blow by, and temp changes up or down. Currently we have a deep voice crows infrequently, and had a Rooster that showed up in the yard that (almost) did not crow at all. A closed coop should stop the A.M. crowing from being heard, and you may find neighbors that do not care, or like it. I have neighbors that like crowing, 1 that claims it is fine, and 1 that says he did not move to the country to hear all that stuff. I think that change causes crowing, not dawn.

5. aoxa

I agree with you there! The younger rooster will crow more frequently and more during peak mating season as well.

6. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

to stop a rooster from crowing you would probably have to make the coop sound proof. a rooster crows whenever he is alarmed that means, change in light, a car going by, of a wind rustling something. hope you luck!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some folks here have crated the roo in a dog crate or similar and put him in the garage each night, with a cover over to help block the light. I do know if he can't stretch his head up it will inhibit his crowing. Some birds will crow anyway, but it usually slows them down.

Just be aware, depending on how old the roos, that roosters aren't designed to be children's pets. If he hasn't hit adolescence hard yet, he may still need to go.

8. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah, that has been in the back of my mind. My only experience with a rooster was as a kid and all I remember was that my Dad used to have to wear gumboots because the bantam rooster used to attack him all the time if he went in the coop. I dont however remember being scared of it so who knows, maybe it was only the boots it hated LOL

My youngest goes and spends time with them every day and Ive said to her she needs to make sure she keeps doing that so that he thinks she belongs. Only time will tell I guess, really hope he stays well behaved because its going to be so difficult to find a good home to rehome him and the kids will be devestated. He from chick stage has been the friendliest of the four so he is sort of a favourite.

When do you class adolescence? Noticed this morning he is trying to mount (not very successfully) the three hens. (He's 16 wks old)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. aoxa

I would class adolescence between 4 months and a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by