Hope or no hope

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickendreams, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chickendreams

chickendreams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I was gifted 29 bobwhite eggs and an incubator. Yesterday was day 23 and no pipped eggs. On day 19 we moved the incubator and an egg broke. The chick didn't make it but it was a good size. So we were down to 28 eggs. Today I float tested them. I have 19 eggs that are low floaters and 9 eggs that were high floaters. I got rid of the high floater. When I broke them open I didn't find any formed chicks but there were blood spots. My question now is: how long should I continue to wait on the 19 remaining eggs? Thank you!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Blood rings usually happen within the first few days of incubation. Either the temp was off, improper egg turning, bad ventilation or just bad eggs. Your temp should be about 99.6 with humidity at 60%, and having stopping egg turning at day 20. If you have done all these things, all you can do is wait. A good hatch will take place between 22 and 24 days.

3. chickendreams

Apr 12, 2011
    Well since the egg that broke at day 19 had a chick that looked well formed (in my very inexperienced opinion) I think I must have done OK one the temp, turning, humidity, etc-. I was aware of those things and did my best. Today is day 24. I'm thinking I'll wait another day or two just in case. I can get more eggs so if this batch doesn't work I can try again.

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I would wait at least two more days. Bobs are usually light enough you can candle them and see if in the airsac the chicks head is moving around.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Patience is a virtue! Let it ride a few more days, and....Don't bust them out! No matter what excuse you can come up with.

I float test eggs when they are way past due. Only because I need to recycle the hatcher. If I gave up on eggs because they were a day or 2 late....I wouldn't have 10 bobs in the grow out pen. Please wait, give them time, and all that! [​IMG]

6. chickendreams

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm still being patient. Next they are overdue but I will give them until next weekend, unless they start to smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by