Hope this doesn't cause me any trouble

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
I opened my local paper to this article this morning. YIKES!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/backyard-chickens-ruffle-feathers-in-islip-town-1.2220688

We were recently away for two weeks with many people coming to watch our birds which free range on a 1/4 acre during the day. Well, unfortunately, a few of the little ones were able to fit through the opening by the chainlink gate and were on the other side of our property a few times. Their surrogate mommies had stopped being mommies during the two weeks we were gone and were no longer calling them back, hence the trouble.

Luckily, our neighbor got them back in and actually tied up a piece of lattice so they couldn't get out anymore. However, I know all my neighbors will be thinking of me when they read this "news" today.
roll.png

I can see why they state this but, also Im thinking as long as your crew doesn't escape agin, they should be ok? Ill cross my fingers.

I live on LI as well, in Suffolk. I have no roosters and my chickens are pretty quiet... but my ducks are sooo loud.. I have been asking neighbors if it bothers them and so far everyone is cool with them... well there are these neighbors a couple houses down that are from the city... they aren't very pleased but if I have to listen to their loud music everytime they are in their pool... they can deal with a couple quacks. But I do get nervous abou the noise sometimes.

Yea, hopefully we'll be ok and they won't escape again, but it does worry me having everyone read that article.

BTW, Conroy, I know ducks are pretty loud as my neighbor has a few behind us. They are far enough away that they don't ever bother us but her neighbors have complained to the town a few times. So far she has been able to keep them and I hope that doesn't change. Chickens can be fairly loud too at times though. I cringe when I hear them doing their egg song for too long or crying an alarm call. Having said that, have you ever heard crows early in the morning? My husband and I have been woken up many times to the sounds of their being raucous. :–)

We are out in the country between farms and i have been wondering why the wild birds have been making such a huge racket lately near the neighboring farm-4 fields away.
Finally figured it out.
They are playing wild bird panic call recordings to chase birds away from their crops- fruit and vineyard.
Maybe you need to broadcast some wild bird recordings VERY LOUDLY to protect your garden.
Trust me, no one will hear any chickens or ducks.
I admit it's very annoying, but I understand why they are doing it and they have every right to chase birds from their crops.

Guess what everyone? I think the article did spark someone's curiosity about my chickens today.

My husband and I were relaxing, talking in the back where the hens free range when I heard a voice at the gate in the back. I walk over and this older, extremely nosy neighbor starts chit chatting and then the subject of chickens comes up. She proceeds to ask me how many chickens I have now and asks me how many the town allows. She and I have been over this before. I had 8 hens, one died. The Town allows 8 hens, no roos. I have no roos (at least none that I know of yet). Then, because I have the broodiest BO's ever and have never been successful at breaking them and because I feel so darn bad for them when they are broody for nothing, I put 6 fertile eggs under a broody, only 4 hatched. I found homes for all 4. A few months and a few broodies later, I ordered 8 chicks from a hatchery which I snuck under each of them. One chick died. OK, that puts me over my limit by 6. So I tell her I am giving most away. Then the conversation turns to how much property we have (all this has been gone over before). The whole time we were having this very annoying conversation, she's trying to peer in to my yard to what's it like. SHE's been in here before so I have no idea what the (beep) she is looking for.

UGH! What a royal pain in the butt she is, I wish she'd just go away!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom