Hope this is the right place for this - plucking feathers/bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mommysongbird, May 17, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Hello, I have not had to post to this forum yet, so I hope this is the right place.

We have 10 five week old chicks and I noticed that one of them has blood on his/her head and it looks as if some of the feathers that were there are not there any longer. Some of the other birds are still trying to pluck at the bloody feathers, what can I do????

We did find out that we def have a roo and this one that is bleeding (very little) may be a roo also.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You must separate the bloody one until not bleeding.

It helps to treat the wound with a colored agent. I have seen Blu Kote (from feed store) recommended but have never used it. You can put a little antibiotic ointment with no painkillers on the wound if needed.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/dr-naylor-blu-kote/camid/EQU/cp/11796/

I love rooster booster pick no more lotion from the feed store also. It looks like molasses and tastes bad to them. You can coat the bird where they are tempted to peck with it. But the wound needs treatment first. Blu Kote apparently helps to prevent pecking and treats the wound.

3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks for commenting, ChickensAreSweet. I am not sure how I will seperate his/her from the others, I don't have anything to put 1 lone bird in. I do have a small cat crate, guess I can use that.

All is still quiet in the brooder this morning, so I hope that all is okay.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The cat crate will be fine in a pinch. If you don't remove a bloody chicken, it can get pecked to death; they are little dinosaur cannibals....

Hopefully the BluKote or NoPick will prevent more pecking. You can also try Vicks VaprRub. Never used anything but BluKote, personally; just what I had, and it worked.

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Oh, thanks for the info, I have Vicks and that will save me a trip out today. I am going to get him/her into the crate as soon as I can clean it out a bit.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh, thanks for the info, I have Vicks and that will save me a trip out today. I am going to get him/her into the crate as soon as I can clean it out a bit.

I have found that it is very handy to have a crate sitting around with chickens as pets, lol! I hope your little chick gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by