Hope this is the right thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shiyanne, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Shiyanne

Shiyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    My flock has an awesome coop but prefer to perch outside in their run? Is that normal?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there Shiyanne

Sorry, to answer this one, we will need a few questions answered please?

Did they used to roost in the coop and have now stopped?
    Or, have they never roosted in the coop?

How many chickens do you have?
    How old are they?
    Are they laying? Do they use the coop/nest boxes for laying?

Are you able to post pictures of the accommodation you have for them?

3. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

They roosted at their other place, but was a horse stall with no perches outside. Mine is a lil smaller with more perches outside in their run. When i first brought them here the younger ones hid in the coop but couple days later they stay outside as well.

[​IMG]

Yes they go in and out of the coop all day, even the roos. And they lay thier eggs in the coop.

9 hens and 2 roos, all raised together. Umm age... 4 just under 8 months. 4 laying eggs bout 2 months, 1 a year i think. Roos are just over 8 months.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd bet...not enough roost length(1' per bird) inside coop and/or not enough ventilation inside coop.
    Or maybe roosts outside are higher than ones inside, they will choose they higher ones.
    What are dimensions of coop and roost?
    Pics of inside coop please?

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are only in the coop to sleep and lay eggs, for the most part. During the day, even in the cold, they prefer being outdoors and will roost in their run during the day.

Do yours troop into the coop at night like good little soldiers? And roost in there?

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If this is new sleeping quarters for your flock, it's change, and chickens don't do change. It's in their contract, you know.

This is a very typical problem. Chickens can be stubborn, resisting any sort of change until they become accustomed to it. To help them along, you can coop them up in the new coop for a couple of days, allowing them to become familiar with the new quarters. Once you let them out, they should then return to the coop on their own come night fall and to lay eggs.

But do consider the amount of roosting space for the number of chickens. I recommend a foot and a half of perch length for each chicken, making sure there is adequate space to dismount without crashing into a wall.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

They have been at my place lil over a month now. Where i got them they had no perches outside. They are a lil crowded if all are in there, but they do go in during day. And they do lay eggs there.. I was just making sure it was okay for them to perch outside at night. Its very well protected, plus dogs surrounding the coop and run. And i DO live in florida lol.. But ill see about enlarging the coop.

Next question... Is it ok for them to sit in rain? I have 4 that absolutely refuse to go under their coop or overhang to stay dry...

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Certainly, it's fine for chickens to roost wherever they feel safe, and it's secure from predators, especially since the climate is mild where you are.

I have four pullets that have a perfectly good coop, but sometimes they prefer to roost in the enclosed run. I wouldn't mind, but they seem to choose to roost on a partition that is much too narrow to support their growing bodies, so I remove them and make them go roost in their coop. Just like a small child who gets it in their mind that sleeping on the floor instead of their bed is a splendid idea. (Been there, too.)

It does no harm for chickens to remain out in the rain as long as the weather isn't freezing. You would be surprised if you ran your hand under their outer feathers. It's dry underneath. Their preening oil usually keeps outer feathers reasonably waterproof, too.

9. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida

Oh its very secure.. Fencing then pitbulls then more fencing lol.. Predators would be awfully dumb to try and get in... And my cats roaming too. Altho wont stop a bear or cougar/panther i guess..

Yea i always see them dry as a bone, even when its pouring..

Im gonna remove the 1 step perch and put a single one in the coop and see if they like it better.. I have 2 outside, a wide one and a narrow 1.. They prefer the narrow swinging temp one better so i left it up.. Kinda like cats with a brand new cat bed, they want the box lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by