Hope this isn't too difficult to treat...

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
So my boy Ruger is gurgling as he breathes, and I noticed it today, as he was not doing this a few days ago. Not loud, but its noticeable. He has been inside my basement for a bit until the third coop comes in and we set up the bachelor pad. We currently have 20 new chicks in the basement, 10 of which arrived on the 24th , and my thought is all the dust from 20 chicks is irritating his breathing, as he is sneezing now and not drinking or eating but otherwise looking and moving as normal. I moved his crate away from the chicks to a more open area in the basement. Should I wait to see if this clears up or should I start seeing about meds? Not keen on injections so anything oral or water soluble would be great if needed. Thanks.

Can you check his crop to make sure that it isn’t full and puffy, in case he is regurgitating food and water into his throat? Do you see any facial/eyelid swelling or bubbles in eyes, sneezing, or gasping? Would a local vet be helpful in getting him tested for a respiratory disease? Have you seen any respiratory infection symptoms in any other birds in the past? Here is a good link for common diseases, including infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis, the most common respiratory ones:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Can you check his crop to make sure that it isn’t full and puffy, in case he is regurgitating food and water into his throat? Do you see any facial/eyelid swelling or bubbles in eyes, sneezing, or gasping? Would a local vet be helpful in getting him tested for a respiratory disease? Have you seen any respiratory infection symptoms in any other birds in the past? Here is a good link for common diseases, including infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis, the most common respiratory ones:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
He has been sneezing today with the gurgling. So his crop felt pretty empty, and no eye/nasal discharge or swelling. We have no avian vets here sadly, and none of our birds have had any respiratory illnesses, plus Ruger has been inside for long periods of time, a few months to recover from severe frostbite and then the current period because he was just too big for our ladies. Being he has been relatively isolated, it really makes me wonder if this is indeed shaving dust induced, as he has been around a large amount of shaving dust this week.

Do you have the powder for the water, or the Tylan 50 or 200? All are water soluble, although the powder should only be mixed by adding water to the powder in an empty container, or it doesn’t mix well. If you have the Tylan injectable, it is better to give those byinjection, or orally and undiluted, since the dosage is small. The Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given 3 times daily.

Do you have the powder for the water, or the Tylan 50 or 200? All are water soluble, although the powder should only be mixed by adding water to the powder in an empty container, or it doesn’t mix well. If you have the Tylan injectable, it is better to give those byinjection, or orally and undiluted, since the dosage is small. The Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given 3 times daily.
What would be good besides Tylan, as right now the TSC I am at is apparently out of it.

So the injectible can be given orally by a dropper or "squirter"? That would help immensely in easing this process. I didn't know Tylan came as a powder, so either is effective in their respective median? What is the powder dosage, as I take it the liquid is the .25ml/lb dosage.

So having found a local avian vet and an absolute dearth of Tylan at 3 local TSCs, the local Blue Seal and the local Agway, I made a Thursday appointment. Lol, taking a chicken to the vet, this will be a first for me!

So I can't hear any gurgling this morning and he is starting to crow again, should I still keep the vet appointment or is he on the mend??

Back
Top Bottom