Hope to make first egg sale Thurs...what should I include

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope to make first egg sale Thurs...what should I include in a printout that I plan to put in each dozen of eggs.

I thought something cute such as: Eggs provided by: Dolly, Rita, Maureen, Ann-Margaret, Lucille and Goldie. I think I will include photos of the girls on the printouts.

Will instruct to wash eggs before cracking and explain about the 'bloom' left by the hen.

Does anyone have facts about the difference in store bought and homegrown eggs or what it costs to produce an egg?

Any other suggestions?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I try not to make money on my eggs as much as cover the cost of feed. Your costs are going to vary from mine or anyone elses. It depends on how much free "grazing" they do, how much feed, supplements (grit, oyster shell, black oil sunflower seeds, etc.) you provide, if you want to roll in any electricity costs, how many eggs you get per bird. I sell my eggs for $2 to $2.50. We have a lot of "brown egg" competition around here, so I stay competitive and try to keep my customers happy with there chocolate, green, blue, brown, cream, orange, pink, and tan eggs! You won't get it down to an exact formula, only because their laying cycles fluctuate. See what fresh eggs are going for in your area. Some of my city friends sell their eggs for $5 a dozen. I couldn't get that here if I tried. Your location will be a factor, too!

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't think it's necessary to wash the eggs before cracking for eating. Of course you won't be selling any with dirt or poop still on them, you will wipe or scrape it off with fine sandpaper or something like that. So the eggs should be perfectly fine for use without washing.

You should suggest they crack each egg separately in a little dish before adding them to the pan or mixing bowl. Actually, that's good advice with any egg, in case there is something unwanted in it, or there are bits of shell that fall in. But with fresh eggs there is more of a chance of finding blood or meat spots. You can explain about them, what they are & how harmless they are, and more likely to be found in fresh eggs (they fade over time).

I wish you & your hens success with your egg business!

4. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    It's very exciting selling eggs. We don't do it for 'profit', but to cover the costs of food, bedding, etc. We started out by charging $3.00 / dozen and we could not keep up with the demand. We upped it to $5.00 / dozen and people are still banging on our doors. [​IMG]

I usually keep my eggs in a cooler with freeze packs and I taped a word print out explaining about our girls, their freeranging, and why the different color eggs. Short and sweet. We've gotten lots of compliments.

Good luck to you [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We have some regular weekly egg customers, mostly people we work with or neighbors. When I find a good recipe that uses eggs I include a copy of it in with their eggs. Any additional eggs are offered for sale on Saturdays in a cooler on the front porch...honor system with the money but no troubles. I have a rooster flag that I hang from the mailbox so the neighbors know that the cooler is out. And I include a bit of small change in the cooler and have a flyer about our birds and what we feed taped to the top. Any eggs that have not sold on Saturday are delivered to a local breakfast cafe for sale on Monday. Also, if we have tons of eggs around we give them away to people we know who have fallen on hard times or take them to the food bank.

As far as price, you'll have to figure that one out. We charge $2-3/ dozen. I thought we wouldn't be able to keep up with the latest commercial egg contamination problem, but it seems that our cooler sales have actually dropped a bit. I think many of our neighbors are feeling the economic pinch and may have reverted to buying eggs for $1/dozen at the grocery store. But since we have many outlets for our eggs I don't worry too much about that.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I like to let my customers know about how to hard boil fresh eggs otherwise they get frusterated when they can't peel them easily.

1. Bring water to a full boil
    2. Place eggs in boiling water (room temp. eggs are best, but fridge eggs are ok too)
    3. Boil for 12 minutes (14 minutes if a dozen or more)
    4. Place eggs in an ice water bath.

I've hard boiled eggs straight from the nest box using this method and had no problems peeling them.

7. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    How exciting!! One thing you may want to say is whether or not you feed medicated feed to your flock.

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Crack N' Egg :

It's very exciting selling eggs. We don't do it for 'profit', but to cover the costs of food, bedding, etc. We started out by charging $3.00 / dozen and we could not keep up with the demand. We upped it to $5.00 / dozen and people are still banging on our doors. [​IMG]

I usually keep my eggs in a cooler with freeze packs and I taped a word print out explaining about our girls, their freeranging, and why the different color eggs. Short and sweet. We've gotten lots of compliments.

Good luck to you [​IMG]

DH said they were charging $3.99 for large brown eggs at the grocery in the larger town 36 miles from our small town. I will try selling at $3/dozen. One or two of mine are larger than 'large' store bought eggs; am betting they are double yolkers. My son is paying $4/dozen in a larger town about 3 hrs from us...they drive from New Mexico to Texas to deliver their products. My son said my eggs have a darker orange yolk than their eggs. Makes me think their hens do not get greens.​

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Quote:No medicated feed was used to produce these eggs! [​IMG]

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Quote:I have one neighbor who is interested in buying our eggs...they grew up on a farm and miss having fresh eggs.

I found an ad for Fresh Eggs in a small local paper...DH called to see how much they were. They are selling their eggs for $1/dozen in our small town.

I have been giving small pullet eggs to family/friends/neighbors/coworkers and will probably continue to share but getting some $$ to help with expenses would sure help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by