hopeful but doubtful

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rockarockaroo, Sep 9, 2014.

1. rockarockaroo

rockarockaroo New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    [​IMG] This is how Fry stands. [​IMG]
    My one month old chick, whom I hatched and thought was fine, started developing a swollen joint on its right leg. A week later, both legs are twisted and contorted. I dont know why? All other five chicks from different mothers are fine. The two other chick that hatched from this same chicks mother both died after just one week. This one has survived so far. Does anyone know what might be happening? My fear is the older it gets, the more weight on the legs. "Fry" eats and drinks fine, can move around with much struggle, and will move toes, but can not keep up with other chicks. Thank you for any input.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  3. rockarockaroo

rockarockaroo New Egg

Sep 9, 2014

4. rockarockaroo

rockarockaroo New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    Thank you for the reply, I have the chicks on the recommended chick started from the feed store. The feed store said it was the same as the feed for their chicks. I will repost under emergencies. Thanks again.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I am sorry about Fry. I am not sure there is anything you can do for this little guy. Some birds do learn to over come their disabilities. All you can do is see how it goes. He may live a completely normal life or at some point you may need to put him down. I hope he makes it ok! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor baby, sounds like a nutritional deficiency - but what nutrient- maybe vitamin D. I don't know if chickens get rickets. Was the bird like this when you got him? You might try putting rickets in the search box and see if it matches your chick.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your chick. [​IMG] Hopefully, someone on the Emergencies forum can help you.

9. rockarockaroo

rockarockaroo New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    Thank you, I already read that entire site when my other lil chick developed leg problems, Fry's leg problem is a bit different any described on that link.

10. rockarockaroo

rockarockaroo New Egg

Sep 9, 2014

Hello Two Crows and Drumstick Diva,

Thank you for the reply, that is what I am leaning towards, that there is not much more I can do. I am new to hatching, so when Fry hatched he was normal, I even have video of him running around with the other chicks. Only after a week or so I noticed his leg joint was huge! I put Arnica Montana on it for several days to reduce swelling (he could still use toes and leg) so I new it wasn't a slipped tendon or broken. Over the course of about 3 weeks his other leg contorted too. Now both have huge joints and twisted toes. I let them into my garden everyday so I know they gets lots of sun (vitamin D) I started giving him drops of Floridex (lots of vitamin B's) now, I am giving him whole milk for extra calcium, (he loves it) He is 6 weeks old now, I think his legs are set?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by