Hopefully hens......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KyCouple, Oct 10, 2009.

1. KyCouple

KyCouple Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Well, we got to the breeder and they had a lot of chickens, rabbits, and ducks of all sizes and breeds. We picked out a few hopeful hens and got a really great price. Plus they are all very sweet. They are in a holding coop for now. Let me know what you think, hen or roo. . Worst case, we will have several coops with roosters only..lol
    Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont remember picking this one out

This is our very own "KING RODNEY" (The reason we are hen shopping, other than eggs)

[​IMG]

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I would say hens, the one that I am not sure about is in the first pic, the one is the corner. Hope the are all hens for you!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Looks like 2 hens and 1 roo. The little pic looks like a sick roo. Maybe he was just cold?
    Your big buff guy is quite handsome!

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sorry all are boys and one you do not remember picking do not look very good

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes, they ALL look like roosters to me. I see pointed hackle and saddle feathers on them.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    They all look like roosters to me, also.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My first thought was all roos as well. How old are they?

8. KyCouple

KyCouple Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    They are suppose to be about 4 and a half months old. Is their anyway I can tell for sure if they are roos? Any suggestions on taking a different picture and angle? Thanks

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The 2 that I can say are Definately roos have long pointy feathers right before the tail. Hens at that age can have red combs because they aren't far from point of lay- so not a good indicator.

You did the right thing by keeping them seperated. The one in the little pic worries me, and the obvious roo in the big pic has a very pale comb- a sign of illness or deficiency. You should put some supplements in their water (if you haven't already) and watch them closely.

ETA: Is there any possibility you could return them? We know how it is- we've all had bad luck occasionally with our birds.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by