Hopefully this can help those to form better bond and friendship with their birdies

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Parrots, Canaries, Finches etc.' started by shanlung, Apr 20, 2019.

1. shanlung

shanlung In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2017
    Extracted from my Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/shanlung/posts/10157146282133421

Understanding the mentality of your grey & other parrots
    2600 years ago, Sun Tzu wrote his Ping Fa better known perhaps to you as 'The Art of War'

One fundamental underlie his thoughts in his PingFa.
    知 己 知 彼
    zhi ji zhi bi

百 战 百 胜
    bai zhan bai sheng

or

Know yourself, Know your opponent
    A hundred battles, a hundred victory.

I am not saying we treat our grey as an enemy to do battle with.
    But if we understand them, it may make it that much easier to live with them and to train with them.

Whether you want to train with them as friends, or to train them as you the "Alpha', understanding their mind must help.
    And perhaps those that thought they must dominate them and be the Alpha might even change their mind instead.
    And perhaps those that have been bitten and otherwise terrorised by their grey might be bitten a lot less and enjoy their grey a lot more, and find training with them a lot easier.

If you understand the mentality of your parrot, that might go a
    long way to becoming friends together.

Notwithstanding that was written in early 2005, I cannot add further to that.
    I find what I wrote to be applicable to my iving with Riamfada, and to all other birdies even if their bills are straight and not hooked.
    Even if it is just my 2 cents and for all it is worth.
    Hopefully what I wrote might be of some help to you.
    That those that got chomped on or terrified of their greys or other birdies might know better what to do and get on to be friends with them instead

What I wrote works on all sizes of birds, and beasties too.

Only drawback is that did not work on wife.
    Nothing ever works on wife.
    I am all ears if anyone know what can work on wife.
    Works well on girlfriend. Until gf transmogrified into wife and then, nothing works any more shortly after that

An extract from Tinkerbell Legacy
    Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey
    https://shanlung.livejournal.com/2187.html

[​IMG]

Bak-Bak and cavemanrich like this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Daughter wants to get an African Grey. That is what brought my interest to this thread.
    BTW you may remember me from a few years back about another bird you had. You had to delete because of personal concerns. Any new developments with that JF.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:thumbsup

3. shanlung

shanlung In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2017
    Hopefully running free in that part of the woods and raising his /her own brood of wild red jungle fowl :):):)

The best way to choose the birdie will be to choose with the heart.
    Not even your heart as it is going to your daughter (but you foot the bill) .

When I decided I wanted a birdie in 2000 (after seeing Alex and Irene Pepperberg) I must have seen about 50 CAGs and Amazons.
    And then one day, the eyes of this small grey caught my eye .

Nothing exceptional about her.

BUT

There and then, I knew she was to be mine, and her name was Tinkerbell.

I could not claw the money fast enough from my pocket for the downpayment. Left my wife in shop to keep an eye while I ran to the nearest ATM to get the rest of the money.

And Tinkerbell of Taiwan came into being.
    https://shanlung.livejournal.com/8284.html

And may that be so with your girl and her birdie.

[​IMG]

cavemanrich likes this.
  4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    This is the Love Bird that she RESCUED,,,, and currently has. She is very seriously considering getting that African grey. Of course housing will be separate.:)
    part0_9.jpg

5. shanlung

shanlung In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2017
    I wish her joy and happiness with the birdie or birdies she got , or getting into her life.

And much joy and happiness with you too, as the one going to foot the bills :lau:clap

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: