Hopes are dwindelling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Francischick, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    Well its goingto be the fourth day in lock down and no pips peepsor wiggling eggs. My feelings are getting hurt.

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    It takes about 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch, if that's what you are talking about. If not, just pretend that I wasn't here...lol

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    So that would put you on day 22? Don't give up hope just yet. Maybe they are just a bit late.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Did you candle them when you put them in lockdown? Was there movement then? If there are no pips at all (and I've had them pip on the underside of the egg where I couldn't see the pip but a little egg shell lying under them was the giveaway, so check carefully) you might very carefully candle and see if any have pipped into the air cell.

5. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    I candled the night before and there was movement so you thin I should got ahead and cndle them again or just wait?

6. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    just leave them alone I have had hatch at 25 days!
    the more you disturb them the more chance of fatality's

Regards John

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    In that case I would just leave them alone and give them a bit longer. Unless there was a major temp fluctuation, if there was the movement when they went into lockdown, hopefully they're still viable and will be pipping soon. If they have internally pipped, you might hear the occasional cheep even before they pip, so listen out for that (you can hear it even over the hum of an incubator fan).

8. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Any peeps yet?[​IMG]

9. Francischick

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    Nothing yet

10. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I would be going crazy by now.. have you candled them again yet? Maybe just a real quick peek to see if there is any movement at all.... This is so sad. I had a 0% hatch about a month ago... but they were shipped eggs that had ruptured air cells that had little hope of hatching anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by