hopes crushed.... well sort of. pic added #10

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by what was i thinking, Jan 24, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i have had my thoughts on a couple of my pullets. they were with a group i bought from someone as brown layers. i think they must have ordered them as an assortment from a hatchery, seeing i got three "rare" roos. anyway, i thought they maybe EE! there was just something about them...
    well i was right. i have been getting these "tinted" eggs. you would almost say there were white until you put them next to white eggs. noone in there lays anything like these and they all just started to lay..... first egg on january 5th from the pullets.
    here is a pic from when i first picked them up and we were at a pit stop at my moms.... the one i am questioning it the one in the front, second from the left. i don't have a newer pic because she runs away when i try to take one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

that one looks like my EE, Biscuit.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Not sure what you were hoping for - darker, more colorful eggs?

Are your roos the white ones?

Steve

4. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i wanted a "colored" egg such as pink or green or purple for that matter. that is the sort of part. tinted is just so lacking the WOW.
    there are two salmon faverolle roos in there. one is just above the pullet in question and i do have one white ee roo. the others that looked white were buff orpingtons, it is just the picture.
    this is him about a month or so after i got him.
    [​IMG]

5. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    No egg that I have ever heard of turns PURPLE! Dont stress, the ee's egg shell color fluctuates over its lifetime.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    you need to buy EEs or ameracaunas...... i have only seen ONE kinda lavender egg...
    if it interests you maybe you should BREED for purple eggs...
    it could be the next big "fad" bird, and then you could make a mint$$$.. and/or have a breed named after you.. heck i would buy a few, cool purple eggs!!!!

7. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    ok, the purple was a stretch, but you got my point. lol everyone hopes for a "color" out of ee.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Does the hen you think is an EE have a fluffy face (beard or muffs)? It should also have a pea comb instead of a single comb if it is an EE. Also, the legs - they don't have to be, but many times the legs are a greenish color.

I have some black and gold chicks that look very similar to the ones you have pictured (including the one in question). They were sold by the feed store as golden wyandottes, but I think they are actually black sex-links (black stars). They have grey legs.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    They may still turn out to be highly productive and healthy birds.

You know what? I don't have the best color vision in the world. That's not too uncommon for guys. Reds and greens - some folks go on and on, I can't tell the difference with some of them. Just lucky not to have much trouble at the traffic lights [​IMG].

When I had an EE hen, her eggs were mostly distinguished as "smaller" but looked about the same the others in the pan [​IMG].

I have a little trouble with browns . . . how's that for lame [​IMG]?

S'

10. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    this is a horrible pic, but her face is almost manly.... feathers on sides aren't muffs but there is more on her face then anyone one else. her legs are greenish, but nothing like the ee roo i have.
    also, i don't know for sure who laid it, but it looks just like the size of other ee i get from my older hens. but this is smoooooth. the others have a different roughness to them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by