Hopfully the kids got the message even though the staff didn't.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cparian, Nov 30, 2010.

1. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My friend who is a nurse, did a presentation for her 5 year old daughter's class. She took in all different color eggs from her grandma's chickens, had a chart made up with pictures of the chickens that laid the eggs showing which one laid which colored eggs. She had blue, brown, white, & green eggs. She concluded the lesson by saying even though some of us may look different on the outside like the eggs, we were all the same inside, & broke them open so the kids could see they were the same once opened. A really cute idea in my opinion. My friend is a very pretty well spoken & put together person who is married to a local police chief.

Anyway the presentation included a "farm breakfast" with biscuits, sausage, & the eggs all of which she brought with her. The director of the school would not let her serve the eggs she brought to the kids saying it was because she didn't know where they came from! The director then ran to the store & got some of those lovely store bought eggs to serve the kids instead! This just floored me! Why is it okay to feed the kids say, cupcakes from someones mom? Is the director sure that mom didn't sneak some of those questionable eggs into the cupcakes?

I don't know why but I am continually surprised by people & their stupidity towards where there food comes from. Hopefully the kids still got the overall message, although it stinks someone with this mindset has an influence over these young impressionable minds.

2. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    OMG how stupid was that? Those store eggs are ghastly...

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

4. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

I must say though the schools here won't even let us bring in homemade food stuffs so even if we made them with the eggs from the stores, the kids coudn't have them... No that is stupid. Even if they are sweets, they are still much better than the plastic wrapped garbage you buy in a box!

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Its not so much the sweets that is the issue behind 'homemade' its the home that it is made in.
    I will be honest, there are some homes that I would not want my child to eat food brought in from. [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I wonder if its left over panic from the Great Salmonella Scare of this summer? [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The director may not have had a choice. Backyard eggs are not "inspected" or "certified" or whatever. She might have been in real trouble had she allowed the eggs to be served. Some of the rules in schools these days are absurd, often as hard on teachers as kids.

9. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah but the salmonella came from the store bought eggs in the first place! I have had many people make negative comments to me about eating fresh eggs. One lady even told me she couldn't eat them because they were straight out of the chicken???!!!

10. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    That is a head against wall type moment. Geez.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by