1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**Hoping for a response this time** Respiratory distress, limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarlieO, Feb 13, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Please help!

I have a 6 week old BBS Orpington chick that, 2 days ago, was found to be limping and stumbling on it's left leg. I have checked for obvious signs of a break or dislocation and didn't find anything. I did put it in a large bird cage within the pen with the other chicks so it was confined but still could see the others. That way it wouldn't get trampled by anyone.

This morning I went out to the barn and the chick is now stretching it's neck and taking deep breaths. It sounds like it may be wheezing or gasping. It is still limping around. I have since moved the cage out of the pen with the others since this appears to be more than a injured leg.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's been living with 21 other chicks, none of which show any signs of any type of distress but I don't want to lose them all to something unknown and contagious.

I've googled Marek's and other things but nothing seems to match these symptoms of limping and now respiratory distress.

If anyone has any experience with this or insight as to what this may be please, please share it!

Thank you!

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Bump.
    I don't know how to help you but I hope you find the help you need. have you pulled back the feathers from the leg to see if there is bruising underneath?

3. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    That is a good idea, I haven't tried that yet. I'm thinking now that it had 2 seperate issues: a leg injury and an impacted crop. I was initially thinking the 2 symptoms might be related but maybe not now. Hey thanks for the reply!!! :)

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have been struggling with hen with an impacted crop for a week, and after a lot of hard work I finally got it to empty. You can try feeding the chick water mixed with Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar (ACV) and massage the crop regularly. That's how I got mine to empty. The water helps wash out the impaction, while the Epsom salt works as a laxative and the ACV changes the pH of the crop and discourages bacteria growth. [​IMG]
    I hope your chicken gets better!

5. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Thank you for the tip! I'm trying everything at this point. We'll see how he/she is in the morning. Fingers crossed!! It just breaks my heart to see it suffer like that!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't give your chicken epsom salts since it will cause diarrhea, and your hen doesn't seem to have symptoms of a crop problem. Check the crop in the morning to see it if it's empty. Mycoplasma synovitis is a disease of the respiratory system that also affects the bones. It can cause lameness as well as respiratory symptoms. Here is some info about it: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...nfection_in_poultry_infectious_synovitis.html

7. CarlieO

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Thanks for that info! I don't see any swollen joints, I checked those carefully today. I did speak with a local vet who deals with chickens and he suspects that it's salmonella likely contracted from the egg that it hatched in since they've never been outside, they live on a concrete floor covered with shavings and are not exposed to anything that could give them salmonella. Basically he said it will just have to run its course but it's not going to be contagious to the others.

I purchased these chicks from a local 'breeder' and the facility was just filthy. The chicks have always looked 'rough' compared to those that I hatched. It's just sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by