Hoping for a Successful Night!! (more PICS added)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, May 26, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I put up a small enclosure for the day pen for the baby ducks a couple days ago. They were out all day and really enjoyed the light showers. They finally wised up and moved under their house after a bit too, i was so happy. [​IMG] I moved all my younger babies back to the brooder, along with the goslings & new Pekin/Rouen babies. I decided to leave the 6 oldest babies(all around 1 month) in the coop/pen tonight... I put them all in the house with a heat light and they actually stayed!! they just cozied right into the warm straw. I am really hoping they stay in and i dont wake up to find icky wet ducks in the morning [​IMG] .

I tried earlier today but Ms. Big Fatty insisted on 'roosting' in the doorway so no one else could get in/out. [​IMG]

It's another warm night tonight so they should be fine, i just don't want them getting all wet again after they dried out or not being able to figure out the ramp is the way to the warm house. I had to leave the door open because the heat light would make it too warm, even with the vents.

Fingers crossed for a successful night! [​IMG]

The enclosure(with everyone in it)
    [​IMG]
    Ms. Big Fatty!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hope they do all stay inside for you...At least the weather there is starting to warm up..I have ducklings ...and more due in a few days,.... and a few weeks and heading into our winter I am beginning to wonder where i am going to put them to keep them all warm.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

So proud of my little monsters! They all stayed in all night and when i checked on them again this morning they were under the house staying dry..until they saw me anyway [​IMG]

so proud! [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I got a few more pics of them hanigng out in the hosue & under it. I don't think i have to worry about soggy ducks anymore, they're smarter than i thought! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blue Fawn & Chocolate Ducklets with Blue Fawn Drakelet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black, Silver, Blue Fawn Ducklets
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

I hope i get some better colors out of my mix color eggs - so far only my black hen has hatched me out anything and all hers were crossed with my black drake.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

all the babies in the batch pictured & the ones a little younger were full of color. the tiny babies that i found with mommas in the coop were only blues & blacks with 1 chocolate...

I had to take a hens eggs away and give her new ones because they went bad (dumb girls fighting over nests!). hopefully i might get another silver. I have one in the younger batch but its a boy [​IMG]

8. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    how do you know if they are males or females?

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

There's a very obvious size difference already, that's how i can tell males from females. I will try and get a picture today of 2 of them together [​IMG] It's always easier when you're familiar with the birds though.

10. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    well i have four ducklings that i cant tell the sex of. I posted in the muscovy owners topic but nobody answered. Would you mind sexing these ducklings:
    [​IMG]
    i got an aerial shot so you can see the size difference. The top left one is 4 days older than the rest that is why there is a really big size difference. Can I also assume that the ducklings that are feathering out faster are females?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by