Hoping for the best but Im worried these "Pullets" are Roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VinnyRoo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. VinnyRoo

VinnyRoo New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Good Morning BYC! Im hoping you guys and you expertise could help me determine the sex and breed of my chickens. I got these three 13 week old chicks from a local feed store as Rhode Island Red Pullets at 6Wks old. Theyre 13 weeks old now and Im growing more concerned with the actual sex and breed of these guys. What do you guys think? [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    All boys, 3/4 are rir or production reds. The 4th one seems to be a mix, perhaps the oddball red sex link roo with pullet coloring? [​IMG]

3. VinnyRoo

VinnyRoo New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Sorry, I just deleted the 3rd picture as it was a duplicate of the second picture. But you think all 3 are Roos?

4. Grub Digger

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    They shouldn't have reddened waddles and combs at 13 weeks. Pullets will start to show reddened waddles and combs 2-4 weeks before they start laying. These 3 are definitely boys. All 3 have pointed hackle feathers and are starting to grow sickle feathers.

1 person likes this.
  5. VinnyRoo

VinnyRoo New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Well thats the opposite of what I wanted but thats also awesome information. Thank you!

6. Grub Digger

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    Anytime and [​IMG]!

7. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You have three boys.The first pic is of a mix,looks like mixed with Isa Brown and some type of feather headed breed.The other 2 look like Production Reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by