Hoping she didn't break her leg

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
1,641
1,672
241
Nor Cal
So I'm freaking out a bit. One of my chickens (about 3 years old) got her too stuck in a small out door round table we have. Well she knocked the table over trying to free her self. I heard her and found her right away but she was turned off for the fall and being stuck. It took me a minute to free her. She had a few small cuts (not cuts but like mild abrasions) so I sprayed so blue kote on her foot to help protect it. When i tried to set her down to evaulate her stand and wall she escaped me and is not using that for at all (simialar to slip tendon in a chick). So e gathered her back up after a short chase checked her over a second time, no clear injury other then the abrasions on her foot, and seperated her into one of the mini pens with food and water.

Of course I'm hoping it's just strained and with a few days of rest she will be back to normal. But I'm freaking out about the possiblities as we have an Orpington rooster that is nearly double the size of most of the hens and 3 guinea hens that share the coop, so if she has a permanent injury she may need to be separated permanently to avoid further damage.

But daddy says I can get 12 chicks to add to my flock...
 

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
1,641
1,672
241
Nor Cal
thank you, I plan to keep her seperated at least untill she's moving around ok. But if it is a permanent injury I'll have to decide at that time what to do, as we aren't currently set up to permanatly seperate her. But i know if it comes down to it my husband will help figure something out. We have talked about doing a second no rooster coop just for eggs so that's always a possibility.

I hate the wait it out approach, but I also know that's all I can do right now. Plan to check her over again later today or tomorrow and then again in a few days of things don't improve
 
Jun 6, 2017
26,906
105,221
1,532
Dunlap TN
Sorry, I've been out...
I think you're doing the best thing by waiting and working on a plan b. And the fact that she's using it some is a good indicator you may not need a plan b. Just try to be patient and don't be tempted to reintroduce too soon. If you start thinking, today is a good day to try, put it off till tomorrow and re-evaluate. If you still feel she's good to go, she probably is.
Like anything else you just don't know till ya try but test the waters first so to speak.:)
And be open to other possibilities or suggestions that others here may have.:frow
 

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
1,641
1,672
241
Nor Cal
So i checked her today, she's doing ok but obviously in a lot of pain. She is moving the leg forward and backward to help keep her balance but quivers really bad if she trys to set it down at all. The foot joint area is slightly swollen and she isn't gripping with her toes on that foot. At least she's still eating and drinking right now. We wrapped her leg with a really loose wrap up just past the upper joint to give her some stability. She seems very dedicated to making it work but I'm still worried for her. I'm going to try to stay asking around if anyone knows a chicken vet in the area. I don't really want to go that route but I'm not sure what to do at this piont. Only time will tell at this point
 
Jun 6, 2017
26,906
105,221
1,532
Dunlap TN
So i checked her today, she's doing ok but obviously in a lot of pain. She is moving the leg forward and backward to help keep her balance but quivers really bad if she trys to set it down at all. The foot joint area is slightly swollen and she isn't gripping with her toes on that foot. At least she's still eating and drinking right now. We wrapped her leg with a really loose wrap up just past the upper joint to give her some stability. She seems very dedicated to making it work but I'm still worried for her. I'm going to try to stay asking around if anyone knows a chicken vet in the area. I don't really want to go that route but I'm not sure what to do at this piont. Only time will tell at this point
Well shoot. I was so hoping she'd be doing better today....
At this point a vet may be the only option other than culling her.:(
 

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
1,641
1,672
241
Nor Cal
Well shoot. I was so hoping she'd be doing better today....
At this point a vet may be the only option other than culling her.:(

I've been lucky so far that of the hens i have lost before they have usually been sick or suspected sick and either found dead or died shortly after finding them weak. I've never had to consider what to do with an injured hen before. It's like a whole other world, I don't want to cull her if she could live a happy healthy life but I don't want to make her live in pain either. I think i would rather cull her then leave her to live a crippled life. Hopefully I can give her at least till the ensmd of the week to start to recover on her own but ill be trying to check her more often to make sure she isn't getting worse
 

MANNA-PRO

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom