1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoping they won't be egg eaters!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pipsmom, Oct 5, 2011.

1. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    I have had one "hold out" with my 4 21 weekers. Yesterday got 3 eggs and the 4th pullet yelled victory for each of them and spent most of the day herself in the next box, but didn't give up an egg. Finally came out of the nest box around 4 PM and preened and scratched like normal. This morning, there was one egg when I let them out. I witnessed another go into the nest box and she laid an egg about 20 minutes later. The loud mouth from yesterday was very quiet but acting normal today. I noticed something on the floor that looked slightly like an egg. Yep, it was a soft shell egg. I couldn't get to it easily so grabbed the dog pooper scooper. Managed to get it but it broke and the yolk broke too. I managed to get the soft shell but the vultures attacked. It was like someone yelled to them that there was food. They found every drop of egg and yolk. Do I have to worry about an egg eater now?? They didn't touch it all day until I stupidly broke it.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Virtually all hen keepers drop an egg from time to time and the chickens gobble them up. It doesn't result in a habit. There isn't time. [​IMG]
    It all happens too fast.

3. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    Thanks, that makes me feel better. I have had chickens for about 7 yrs now and never had one eat eggs. I have found broken soft shelled eggs but my hens never ate them. I have 4 new pullets that seem to gobble up everything that isn't bolted down. I was just really surprised how quickly they gobbled up the egg. They were outside the coop but as soon as that egg broke, they were inside gobbling it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by