Hoping this is a Plymouth Rock Pullet, opinions please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Plucky Pullet, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    Hi all. This is Speckles who we are hoping is a pullet. Some of you may know from my first post that I found her wandering down the street on a pretty built up neighborhood. I have always wanted chickens and having just recently moved into a house I have a small amount of space to keep chickens. So providing this is a pullet on not a roo it would appear that my first chicken found me. Speckles does have an injured leg and she is taking CEFA drops that the vet thought would be the best Rx to combat the wound. Fingers crossed there are no broken toes.
    Anyways I am hoping that with all the experts and experienced chicken keepers out there we might be able to determine if Speckles is indeed a girl. If she is then she landed herself a home and I can start chicken shopping to build a coop and get her some friends (again opinions welcome on the where's and hows).
    Thanks for all the help!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Looks kind of young but there appears to be a bit of bright read on that comb. Roo

3. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Kinda looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, you have a PM in your inbox. [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I say rooster. I see red at the wattle area as well as the comb.

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    still really young to tell, but looking at the bars I am thinking a pullet. probably won't no for sure for a few weeks.

7. Plucky Pullet

Aug 18, 2010
    To give you a better idea this chick is roughly 6 inches long, that red is more pink in real life (the camera is rather vibrant). Is there any behavior that may indicate one sex or the other?

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Bet you do (ducks) [​IMG]

9. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Did you try the upside down trick [​IMG]

Old Wives tale but some people really believe in it, worth a try for the fun of it

10. Plucky Pullet

Aug 18, 2010
    Ok so here is how clueless I am... what on earth is the upside down trick???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by