We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Hoping to get Chickens soon - but first to make them legal!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by khorvath, Jul 22, 2019.

1. khorvath

khorvath Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Des Plaines, IL
    Hi,

My name is Kelly. I've been a long time stalker to this site but just now joining. I live in Des Plaines, Illinois where it is not legal to have chickens. I'm working with other residents to change that this year. We failed a few years back but with new board members, we are trying again with renewed hopes.

If all goes well I will have hens sometime next spring. Fingers crossed.

2. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Hey, welcome to BYC!

Feel free to explore the forums or ask questions to get to know how everything works.

I'm sorry to hear that right now you can't keep any, but so many places are starting to change their minds about having at least a few. So don't lose hope! Any specific breeds you have in mind?

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Glad you decided to join us! Good luck legalizing chickens in your area :fl

4. khorvath

khorvath Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Des Plaines, IL
    Thanks! Well we need cold hardy birds but also ones that can fare well in a hot, humid summer. :(

There are so many breeds that are adorable but a few of the ones I'm most interested in are Faverolles, Orpingtons, Wyandottes...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will enjoy Backyard Chickens as much as we do. :wee

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good luck! :fl

7. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    I love Wyandottes, they come in so many beautiful colors and their butts are so cute! I personally enjoy the blue laced red and splash laced red wyandottes, if you find some pictures you'll see why.

Might I also recommend Ameraucanas, simply because they too come in wonderful colors, have pea combs so they're great for winters, and they lay blue eggs! Plus their nature is so sweet, the ones I have love to sit in my lap and eat treats from my hands.

8. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    USA
    Welcome! I hope the residents win on the chickens. I cant understand why a reasonable amount of chickens aren't allowed in many municipalities.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    khorvath, rjohns39, Peepsi and 9 others like this.
  9. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Agreed, I can understand why they might not want to allow everyone to have 20 chickens or more, but a small flock of 3-6 shouldn't be a problem.

10. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    USA
    No. Cats can be kept 100% indoors at all times by a responsible owner. Kept inside a cat is no bother to the neighborhood not a health issue to the home. Now a 150lb dog crapping and peeing in the house? Not acceptable. And he would also still be a bother to the neighborhood because his barking would still be clearly heard outside the house. Personally I'd rather live beside a family with 3 indoor cats and a flock of 10 than a family with one single dog lol.
    I dont hate dogs either, I have one. But dogs are why I moved out of the city. 3 surrounding homes had multiple dogs and the stench of dog turds was absolutely overwhelming. You couldn't open your windows even. And at least one was barking at all times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: