1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoping to meet our adopted granddaughter. The waiting hurts... PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Carolyn252, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

She's stuck in Nepal and it's getting cold there. Orphanage is subsisting on porridge and lentils. My daughter flew there and signed the adoption papers two months ago, but the U.S. Embassy still hasn't produced a visa for the toddler, and so the little one can't enter the U.S. SO frustrating. There are 56 American families stuck in this red tape tragedy. Go to this website to see PHOTOS of the little kids, and then click on the link there and PLEASE sign the petition. http://theywaitnepal.blogspot.com/

Forward this to everyone you knows so they will sign and forward it too. We're hoping for 10,000 signatures by the end of the week. Maybe President Obama will grant the children humanitarian relief status and issue visas for them all. At this point, it's too late to the kids to be home for Christmas or Chanukkah, but maybe we could aim to have them all home by the New Year??????

When you read the petition, you'll know what the whole story is, but essentially, the Nepal Government had declared that all these kids are "orphans available for international adoption"; but the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security wanted to make sure that the children really were orphans so they took about four months to investigate all the kids' orphanage records, and then on December 15, 2010, both Departments declared that NO FRAUD, and NO CHILD TRAFFICKING was found in ANY of their investigations. Thank Goodness!!

But then they said that they want each of the adoptive parents to produce evidence confirming that NO FRAUD and NO CHILD TRAFFICKING has taken place and they've given the adoptive parents 87 days to produce that evidence. Without the confirming evidence, the Embassy will issue a denial to EVER produce a visa. So the new parents have to hire Nepali lawyers and Nepali private investigators (which costs thousands of dollars) to try and track down some police officer or passerby who found the newborn lying on the side of the road two or three years ago. It's a nightmare of frustration because Nepal, like any other third-world country, is more interested in the basic human needs of feeding and caring for the foundlings than in creating official reports and filing them in triplicate so that some U.S. official can be satisfied with a Western idea of proper papertrails years later. None of the adoptive families speaks the Nepali language, and most of them are back in the U.S., desperate to get their new children home. After paying all the normal costs of international adoptions, these investigations are draining the families terribly. Some are selling their homes rather than abandon their children. They've met the children, bonded with them, fallen in love with them, and just want to get them home to proper feeding, medical care, and LOVING FAMILIES.

My daughter has been pursuing this adoption for three years now. I was so hoping my Mom would get to meet the little girl, but, at 99 years of age, my Mom passed this August. But, my 99-year old mother-in-law is still with us and so we can still have FOUR generations of our family together, if only that toddler's visa would come through in time for Great-Grandma Mollie to meet her.

http://theywaitnepal.blogspot.com/

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    -Carolyn

2. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    Goodness....Best of luck to you. I know that must be really really hard. My brother and I were adopted. I really believe its the way to go. I don't want kids but if I ever did I would definetly adopt.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have signed. I hope that your granddaughter is home soon.

4. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

bump, please. We NEED your signatures. And PLEASE forward to everyone you know so that this request for signatures spreads throughout the country and we get ten thousand signatures before New Years.
    Thank You, from a grateful grandma.

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Hey Carolyn, I signed it and sent it. I have been trying to adopt for the last year from social services in every state (foster kids that have been put up for adoption). I can't even get much of an answer to my inquiries, no matter what state I inquiry to. So I would ask my fellow chickeners to please write a letter to the Governor of your state and let them know they are doing a dis-service to children everywhere by sitting on their butts and not getting things accomplished for these kids to be adopted. They have children posted on a lot of websites for all the Children and family Services in the US. But they don't want to do the paperwork to adopt these kids across state lines. So far I have applied for singles and sibling groups , age 0-11 years old, boys or girls and any race. Still no response. If I'm lucky I get an e mail 3 months later that says the child has been placed. Then I see the child still on the websites. It's crazy. I have sent in over 108 homestudies so far to several different States. I raised 6 kids, have two foster kids. Anybody want to jump on the band wagon and email your senator or governor it would be greatly appreciated.
    Recently I just found out that two previous foster kids who were placed back with their parents are now back in care. Unfortunately, the youngest was injured. Had a bad head injury and is on life support. I can't say the age, but under 5. The system is failing these kids. I need some help to back me up. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by