Hoping we don't have 3 roosters now

Everett

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
We started on our chicken adventure with 3 light brahma chicks almost 6 years ago. One turned out to be a rooster, and we managed to keep him thanks to very tolerant neighbors. We lost a hen last winter, and replaced her with two grown Buff Orpingtons. One of the new hens went broody, and we popped a couple of the other hen's eggs under her. Four months have passed, and it looks like two of the chicks are roosters. (Having trouble posting a picture)

We started on our chicken adventure with 3 light brahma chicks almost 6 years ago. One turned out to be a rooster, and we managed to keep him thanks to very tolerant neighbors. We lost a hen last winter, and replaced her with two grown Buff Orpingtons. One of the new hens went broody, and we popped a couple of the other hen's eggs under her. Four months have passed, and it looks like two of the chicks are roosters. (Having trouble posting a picture)
Once you post pictures, I'll be able to help. I think that you have to have made ten posts before you can post a photo.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

There are some great tabs regarding meat production and how to do the deed if your chicks are roosters.

I know some people don't like the idea of Freezer camp but it might be a good solution to your possible rooster issue. Just be sure you name them appropriately like Crisco and Peanut Oil, Or KFC and Popeyes. It is not as bad as it sounds and it tastes much better than the frozen chickens you get from the Grocery store!

There are folks here for and against and which ever way you decide to go if your chicks are indeed male there is no judgement.

Caroline

Last edited:
We are pretty attached to these chickens as pets. We would even create separate bachelor quarters if necessary. :)

Thanks for the link. I think my setup at work might be better. I'll try to post some pictures on Monday. In the meantime, the only one crowing is our old rooster, Maynard.

Back
Top Bottom