Hoping

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay,I've gotten my first few eggs from my quail. I'm doing something, to see if Turning off the light and heat for 4-8 hours helps with laying a egg. If I get one tomorrow, than it works [​IMG] so In three days, I will put all the eggs I have even if its the three, In the incubator, see if Any hatch [​IMG] I can't wait [​IMG]

2. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:THE HEAT IF NOT TOO HOT AND THE LIGHT HELPS WITH EGG LAYING....KEEP THE LIGHT ON ALL NIGHT AND YOU SHOULD SEE AN INCREASE IN EGGS.

3. Tikkajazz94

Still only getting one every other day, I might not get any for another two weeks, I had to clean the cage.... [​IMG] jan 1st is 10th day for the first two, I'm getting my bator ready to start hatching.... going to put then in on friday [​IMG] (Although its 4, Might get some from a friend)

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can provide them lighting 14 hours a day and get more eggs ya know?

5. Tikkajazz94

Quote:I'm doing 16 hours actually, and still the same [​IMG] Their prob slow at starting to lay [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Some varieties take longer [​IMG]

7. Tikkajazz94

Quote:ah okay. Figured that out, But should I wait for more eggs or should I try out my incubator out (ive had it for 2 years and haven't even tried it out at all :? )

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:ah okay. Figured that out, But should I wait for more eggs or should I try out my incubator out (ive had it for 2 years and haven't even tried it out at all :? )

it took my birds 2 weeks of artificial light to start laying correctly, and even some STILL don't lay

i say shove in there w/e ya got

9. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    My cot's had been laying for a few weeks with extended light while in my garage; I moved them out to my dad's without extended light; they kept laying for about a week & then quit. I brought them back to the garage & extended the light again. It took probably a week or better before they started laying again. I guess what I'm saying is, at least in my experience, the change isn't "instantaneous".

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010

it took my birds 2 weeks of artificial light to start laying correctly, and even some STILL don't lay

i say shove in there w/e ya got

That's normal, if your birds stopped laying due to less than adequate lighting. It can go even longer. Light is only one of the variables. Aside from feeding the same feed, light is the only constant on my farm. The temp. is the only true variable here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by