Hopping on 1 foot and feather's missing

Bairefoot

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2020
Ridgeway S.C.
Hen hopping on 1 foot. Cleaned foot and leg did not see a thing wrong. Then noticed feathers missing on butt and chest. On the chest it is a real red patch. She seem's oh okay but still hopping around. I have her in a different pen from the rest. Any one have any comment's on what might be wrong.

No swelling, no cuts, no redness. I have had her for about 6 months. Feed her and the others laying mash. She is about 3 years old. Give her and the others meal worms some times. I check them ever day. She started this about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Put her in another pin started feeding her high protein feed and she has stopped laying. She is still hopping around and the closes vet is 100 miles away.

No swelling, no cuts, no redness. I have had her for about 6 months. Feed her and the others laying mash. She is about 3 years old. Give her and the others meal worms some times. I check them ever day. She started this about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Put her in another pin started feeding her high protein feed and she has stopped laying. She is still hopping around and the closes vet is 100 miles away.
Pictures? Hen, feet (bottom of feet too) and legs?

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• chick11.jpg
    chick11.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 4
  • chick10.jpg
    chick10.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 4
  • chick9.jpg
    chick9.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 4
  • chick8.jpg
    chick8.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 4
  • chick7.jpg
    chick7.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 4
  • chick6.jpg
    chick6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 4
  • chick5.jpg
    chick5.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 4
  • chick4.jpg
    chick4.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 4
  • chick3.jpg
    chick3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 3
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 3
  • chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 3
  • chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 3
Hen hopping on 1 foot. Cleaned foot and leg did not see a thing wrong. Then noticed feathers missing on butt and chest. On the chest it is a real red patch. She seem's oh okay but still hopping around.
No swelling, no cuts, no redness. I have had her for about 6 months. Feed her and the others laying mash. She is about 3 years old. Give her and the others meal worms some times. I check them ever day. She started this about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Put her in another pin started feeding her high protein feed and she has stopped laying.
Thank you for the photos.

While it's a little hard to see in the pictures, I would re-take a look at the foot - is there a scab or wound on the foot pad?

Also, I was looking back at your posts - you mention feathers missing from butt and chest. She's stopped laying eggs too, she's 3 years old.
If you felt of her abdomen between below her vent, between the legs - does she feel bloated or swollen?

Also what percentage is the high protein feed?
Sorry for all the questions!
For the foot, if there is a scab/wound on there, getting a better photo would help. It may be Bumblefoot which can be treated. Sometimes it's painful and causes them to limp or not want to put weight on the foot.

1588734162613.png

Took the chicken today and soaked her feet in epson salt water. Took a tooth brush and cleaned both feet. No sign of cut or anything. Feathers are growing back in. No sign of egg being lodged in her. Feeding her 16% feed. Sending you new pictures of both feet. I don't see anything wrong. Can you see anything.
IMG_20200509_134357114.jpg
IMG_20200509_134404727.jpg
IMG_20200509_134413297.jpg
IMG_20200509_134426330.jpg
IMG_20200509_134524343.jpg

Back
Top Bottom