1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoppy the one legged chick**1-18-08 Sad News to Share

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arlee453, Nov 14, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, 9 of the 10 chicks hatched yesterday are doing super - they are starting to eat and drink today... so cute!

I am worried about one little guy though. This chick seems alert and healthy otherwise, but he has one leg that he holds up with his foot curled up.

He can stand on the other leg and sort of hops around, but spends most of his time lying down since moving around is difficult for him.

I'm not sure this is splayed leg or not - he won't put it down at all. I've palpated the leg and foot and he didn't raise a fuss or give me any indication there's pain there, but he can't or won't use the leg.

Should I treat for splayed leg with the bandage? Any harm in treating it like splayed leg if it isn't?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    do you have a photo? Often a deficiency is connected with curled toes... often three drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamin) in beak once a day for a week (taper off the next ) helps...as to bandaging for the splayed leg...you can try it if you are sure there is no break or such (or a slipped tendon)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  3. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks Diana... I'm still not sure where to go with this. I think this is something congenital, rather than an injury - I noticed it as soon as I went to put them in the brooder from the bator yesterday. He can spread the toes flat, I think it's just the way the leg is pulled up causes the toes to curl, like they normally do when they pull their legs up when walking, if that makes sense.

Here's some pics - see what you think... other than he is SUCH a cutie! You can see he is very strong in the other leg. I tried moving the affected leg some more, and it won't go straight easily. I didn't want to injure him by pulling or forcing it too much, though. It's also hard to tell exactly what the shape of the leg and thigh is with all that baby fuzz...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

He's so cute!!! Sorry I don't know what to say though about his issue there, other than if he can get around, he can probably live just fine as a pet.

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    thanks Silkie - I think they are all so adorable, and I just can't see putting this one down as long as he's able to get to the food and water and is so bright eyed!

I'm hoping Diana will have some of her super chicken wisdom for me!

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    gosh...not this time cept for the bandaging as if for splayed leg (are you sure you don't feel a tendon or such out of place...ppl have said they can 'slip"it back in sometimes) and the POLYVISOL (just in case> can't hurt / might help)

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Since it just hatched yesterday and doesn't appear in discomfort, I would just watch for a couple days. Does the chick run around the brooder? Limp or walk normal? Or does it just stand still most of the time? Is the floor of the brooder too hot/cold? Does the chick switch legs? This is an unusual one, I must say.

Jody

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    CUTE CUTE CUTE

Is there any way you can have 2 brooders going?
    I would put that one and the smallest or calmest in a brooder by them selves.
    It looks like it is just in discomfort. BUT maybe not a serious injury buy the way it is acting.
    I would put V&E in the water like suggested. But it probable just needs time to heal.
    Keeping it on a rag for good traction is a great way to go.
    You should have a better idea tomorrow of how to treat.

Melanie

9. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    The chick doesn't use the leg at all - he can stand well on the good leg, and he hops and stumbles around where he wants to go.

He's lively and energetic - well for the 10 seconds in between their 30 sec naps - you know what I mean - just like the the others.

I really think it's something in the way the leg developed...

10. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Just giving this a bump... any other advice now that there are pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by