1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horizon Organic Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by F50myster, Jan 30, 2011.

1. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    hey i live in california and today i bought some horizon organic large brown eggs from my local food 4 less to eat tomorrow for breakfast, has anyone tried these eggs? are they good? better than the white cheap ones and why? thanks...also if there are some that are better where can i find them and for how much? these were 6 dollars a dozen. thank you

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am sorry you had to buy eggs. [​IMG]

$6.00 a dozen - OUCH. I sell mine - not label organic because I do not want to jump thru all the hoops - mine are "cage free" [​IMG] for $2.50 a dozen.

3. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    haha i know im going to keep buying them until my hens start laying

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hate buying eggs AND chicken food [​IMG]

5. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    try looking at craigslist for someone near your area selling chicken eggs. I am sure you'd get much better quality eggs, for a cheaper price. Make some friends too!

6. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Quote:yeah ive seen some ads like that on craiglist i think im going to try it sometime

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Horizon eggs ARE good. But not $6 good. The only reason I know what they taste like is that my SIL buys them. I haven't bought eggs in, well, longer than I can remember. If you have farmer's markets anywhere nearby, those are a great place to find good organic eggs, and they will probably cost a bit less, and you would be supporting local farmers.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, color doesn't make a difference. Brown egg, white egg, green egg, dark red egg, - nada. They're the same. It's the diet that makes a difference.

Second - I would not pay $6 a dozen for eggs unless I KNEW the hens were free ranged on good greenery and were fertile, so I had a chance to hatch a few. [​IMG]

9. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Quote:well the box says cage free and are fed 100% organic feed and they are accepted by the asda or whatever does that make a difference? does that pretty much mean the hens were healthy? and no they were not fertile lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by