Horizontal Nipple Newbie -- is it working?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TopangaMom, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TopangaMom

TopangaMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    I have introduced horizontal nipples (currently have 3 in red, plastic folgers coffee container) to my flock of 3 week old Delawares, RIR and Jersey Giants. I've only witnessed them successfully drink water when more than 2 fight over the same nipple -- and in the frenzy one of them pecks it the right way and water drips out. I've monitored the level of water -- and I know they're not drinking as much as they usually would out of chick waterer. Yesterday I filled it with electrolyte tea to encourage them and insure they were staying hydrated. I live in Southern California and it is hot & dry.
    I really want this to work. Any suggestions? Should I hang my waterer? Switch to pickle bucket or something similar?
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

2. I am no expert, as I am a newb too but I put 10 nipples spaced evenly on two 5 gal buckets. They took to it in 10 minutes at about the same age.
    I keep one in the coop and one in the run in the shade. They seem to attack red so maybe the red Folgers tub is confusing them? I really don't know if that is possible. Is yours elevated?

3. TopangaMom

TopangaMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Mine is not elevated...I guess I need to rethink container.

4. Maybe, it wouldn't hurt. Keep me posted.

5. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You will find that horizontal nipples will function best when they are 'set' at a height equal to the level of the birds back. It is much harder to get a drink, down hill. Also, make sure the container is vented. Old style fonts require a vacuum, but all styles of nipples require a vent to air to function correctly.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

6. vented really? I thought the horizontal ones were different somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by