1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

horizontal nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kirghizstan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    I'm trying to find horizontal nipples, but I've only found one listing on amazon (not sold by amazon). Does anyone know of another place to get them?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. QuiltinGramma

QuiltinGramma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2015
    Rainier, Washington
    Concerning the horizontal nipples....my chicks are about 2 weeks old. They try and drink from the nipples but are they strong enough to actually push it in and release the water? As soon as I press it in, the water does come out and the babies will come over to drink and I see them pecking the release button but I have actually seen any water come out. So, do I leave everything alone or do I go ahead and put the other crummy waterer back in? Thanks all for your help.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I marked the water level on the bottle so I could see if they were getting enough to drink, they were.
    Seeing the water level drop from the mark helped ease my mind, plus you can see them tip their heads back for the water to run down their throats.

But if you just started them on the nipples, it can take a couple days before they really get the hang of it.
    If you really concerned that they may be dehydrated, put the regular waterer back in there for just 10 minutes once a day and let them fill up, then remove it again.

6. QuiltinGramma

QuiltinGramma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2015
    Rainier, Washington
    Thanks, aart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by