Horizontal Rubbermaid shed as coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prairiepearls, Jan 20, 2010.

1. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...n=16310091&s=industrial&qid=1264023346&sr=8-3
    I found this Rubbermaid shed today at Home Depot, on clearance for $199!! It's regularly $500 or more with shipping! The inside dimensions are approx. 4' x 6'x 4' high, which should certainly house the 3 chickens I plan to start with, and maybe even the 12 maximum I'm allowed in the city. I like it because it'll be easy to clean, and the double-wall construction should supply some insulation.

I plan to add an openable window on one side, some vents at the top of the walls, and a pop-door. Half the roof slides open for access, and I plan to line that area with hardware cloth so it can be left part-way or all the way open during our hot summers. It has built-in shelf supports which I think will work to support roosts.

I plan to start out with it at ground level, but hope to eventually put it up on a plywood base supported by 4x4s or the like, and fence it in underneath. I expect to free-range my chickens in my fenced back yard most of the time, but will eventually want a run for those times when I'm away.

Please let me know what you think?! I can't stop rubbing my hands together in excitement!!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I think it's gonna be good. Make sure you have lots of venilation and post lots of pictures!!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My only thought would be at four feet tall it's not going to be the most fun to clean out. Just make sure you've got a long rake and shovel! [​IMG]

4. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I use a plastic shed too! Mine's one of those big square things used in Suburbia to disguise two huge trash bins. Congrats on the find :)

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I wanted to use this shed for my bantams, but $350 at Home Depot was too much for my husband. Instead he built a 4 by 6 tractor and spent way over $400 and much time. I think it will work well!

6. prairiepearls

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Quote:Yeah, I thought about that. But I'm hoping that the fact the roof slides open halfway, will make it doable.

Thanks for the input, and I'd appreciate any other drawbacks anybody spots!!

7. prairiepearls

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Quote:I'm thinking of using some plastic floor vents (like for a forced-air furnace) as vents that can be opened & closed. And I do plan to take lots of pix! [​IMG]

OccamsTazer: Love-love-love your name!!

Cindy in PA: That's exactly what I was afraid of when I started looking a building plans! Of course, the window and pop door and vents and hardware cloth WILL add to the cost! [​IMG]

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:Yeah, I thought about that. But I'm hoping that the fact the roof slides open halfway, will make it doable.

Thanks for the input, and I'd appreciate any other drawbacks anybody spots!!

That and being plastic will make it easy to hose out. I like plastic isn't a good home for mites. Like everyone else says though, add ventilation, ventilation, and more ventilation.

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]
    First, as coyotemagic says, cut out for and install ventilation louvered vents. I would do 1 sq ft on each side, up high as possible, and caulk the vents using Sonneborne NP 1 sonolastic caulk. Only can be bought at roofing supply places or concrete finishing tool supply places. You will not be able to house more than 6 chooks and have a healthy environment for them. I would also cut minimum two windows that can be covered with plexiglass in wintertime, perhaps as sliders? Leave open all summer. If doors open on one end as it appears, then do a poop board that can be removed from that end to make litter last for 6 months to a year. Will simplify your coop chores and keep chooks healthier. Alternative idea is a two sq ft roof vent. Be sure to sit it right on the ground so as to have no places for snakes, weasels, rats mice, etc. When elevated, make it 18" tall minimum to discourage same pests/predators [​IMG]

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My concern would be heat. My neighbor has a plastic shed and in the summer you could bake a cake in that thing. I mow her grass for her and I open the door grap the mower and get out quick.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by