Hormonal chickens, oh my

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
My poor Fussy, I am not sure what to do with her. She cries and cries before she lays, and is meaner than a snake. She is like Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. Poor Red kept lookin at her like "are ya done and back to bein sane yet?" (Red gets beat all to heck when Fussy is ready to lay). I know she needs olive oil and she wont eat any bread soaked in it, so not sure what to do with her. She wont eat the sunflower seeds either. I KNOW she needs the oil, she is in PAIN, poor thing. Well that lasted a couple hours.

So, after todays episode of "where shall we lay?" from Fussy...I put the big girls away and I let the little girls out. I went in to use the computer and heard Lily squawking. She usually squawks when someone is walking around, so I thought Mom was up walkin into the kitchen. She is so funny, she has one pair of shoes she absolutely hates, and she will squawk like mad when you wear them. Well, no one was walking around, so I went to look for her. Whadya know, she was in Red's fave spot behind the grandfather clock, just a bagawking away. NOT ANOTHER HORMONAL chicken!
barnie.gif

But...She was definitely checking it out...

Oh and today, Dash beat Lily up one side and down the other. I had to laugh, Lily just hunkered and took it. I laughed cuz I have been awfully worried bout Dash, she is sooooo tiny and Lily could kill her very easily just pecking back, and Lily is a pretty mean chicken really all in all, but she seems to take it from Dash. So I was relieved, hope it stays that way and that Lily continues to dote on Dash. Still not sure bout Dash bein the boy or girl. I think Dash just beats on Lily cuz she is mad bout having to walk thru all that poo.
lau.gif

Jill

Warren,

Supposedly the olive oil helps them ease the egg along a bit for birds that have a hard time. It never hurts for any of them. I think my poor gal will probably die laying one of these as she gets older, and she is my baby, my favorite. Her eggs at least are fairly small, but she has had a hard time of it from the get-go. She does NOT wanna be a hen.
idunno.gif

Havent tried olives, CC, cuz I dont buy them, (dont like em) but I will try that, good idea.
smile.png
If she won't eat them, I have one that likes em I know.

Last edited:
She needs an epidural....just kidding.
I'm not sure about feeding a chicken olives because of the salt. Olive oil would be better than olives. I think an even better choice would be unflavored cod liver oil.

Back
Top Bottom