1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hormonal roo or scaley leg mites????HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arnr1530, Aug 31, 2013.

1. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    i have a 6 month old brahma roo he is a really big boy.... he has the normal feathery feet and darkish yellow legs but i just noticed yesterday that the back from his foot up his leg is now a redish yellow color? im still new to the chicken world and didnt know if this is normal or if he has sores on his feet if so what i should do about it ? he is getting entered into a show in two wks i wanna make sure all is well!!! is it hormonal cause its not a bright red he isnt picking at them and like i said i just checked him for parasites and nothing.???? he is a very hormonal cockerel if someone knows a little more to let me know that will be great????

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I had the same think happen to my rooster, a buff orpington. I sprayed his legs with Leg Mite Protector, it didn't really help, but he isn't bothered with it. [​IMG]

3. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    i think its scaly leg mites but he is the only one with it and i jsut checked him two days ago for mites but he had nothing no parasites i put powder which is kinda like seven powder does the same thing but bought i in the chicken section at the TSC and i have read on here about what to do for it but im unsure if thats what he really has i clean the bedding and nesting boxes out atleast twice a wk!!! if anyone can help please tell me more info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by