1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hormones in chicken food??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blue52, Feb 24, 2010.

1. blue52

blue52 New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Does most chicken layer feed have hormones and antibiotics in it? Or do I need to buy organic to avoid that..Thanks any info on food would be great were feeding our chickens country acres feed right now. It seems to be a good food just unsure on how to decifer the tag on the bag and what is in it.. Kelley

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Hormones have been illegal in chicken feed since the 1970s. I don't know if you brand of feed contains any antibiotics but none of the feeds I've used do.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    NO poultry feed contains hormones. They've been banned for over forty years now. Any that contains anti-biotics will be clearly marked and not likely to be found in a typical feed store anyway. Chick starter often has an anti-coccidial medication in it, but it's not properly an anti-biotic and will be clearly labeled as medicated anyway.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by