1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horned Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ivan3, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    While rooting around through the American Memory section of the Library of Congress (searching chicken/rooster/poultry related photos/etc.) I came across this shot attributed to the Chicago Daily News (1910). There are several legitimate chicken related photos, attributed to the same rag, on the site so I'm wondering if this pic is legitimate. Or was the photographer having some fun (glues spurs on head?). Anyway, just wondering if the breed can be determined from the plate and, if anyone has heard of a `horned' rooster outside of the old Rt. 66 corridor...?

[​IMG]

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Weird. I couldn't find anything.
    There are so called "horned" breeds or v-combs. So I imagine you could get a bird that looks like it has horns. My guess though, is that they are his spurs glued on his head... considering the roosters spurs appear to be missing. [​IMG]

Some "horned" breeds.

A "Mad Hatter" being developed by a breeder in Maine.
    [​IMG]
    Polish have them, but it's hard to see with all that fluff on their head.
    La Fleche are v-combed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    wow the chicken looks like he has a spur coming out is head

4. lamprego

lamprego New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    [​IMG]

Horned Rooster Intrigues in Southern Brazil

PORTO ALEGRE — A horned rooster is drawing attention from residents of Balneário Pinhal, on the northern coast of Rio Grande do Sul.The owner, Anderson Santos, bought the common white rooster, which has two red horns in place of the crest, from a neighbor two months ago and gave the fowl the suggestive name “Chifrudo,” a Portuguese colloquialism for “cuckolded.”

5. Goronson Chicks

Goronson Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2014
    Maine
    Here's ours in Maine. (He's a Gold-laced Polish.)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by