horray! They've walked up the ramp to roost!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kareninthesun, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    It was fun and frustrating for a while...I'd get five up the ramp to roost for the night, turn around, pick up one, two would sneak down or fly down or jump down. I've never heard chickens laugh before, but truly, I know they did. Snickered even. Would take 20 minutes to round up 12, tuck them in. They never went up during the day either. Which is fine. So last night, at sunset (again) waited a little longer. They were all bunched together, making a loud racket, wanted to go to bed. Instead, I went outside the coop, lifted the side panel so I could see their floor entrance and gently called them up. The older girls climbed the ramped, poked their heads in and came inside, upsetting the younger ones whom felt either abandoned or missing something fun. All but two quickly followed. The last two kicked up a huge fuss but didn't want to go up. Gave them a lift, and they settled right down for the night. Really nice! But strange. Feel like I was watching my kids take their first steps, or leaving them at school for the first day. Not sure which...

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I swear one of mine swore at me today as I closed the run door after free range time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by